Charging grizzly vs shotgun

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jporcello
500 Club

Re: Charging grizzly vs shotgun

Unread postby jporcello » Wed May 15, 2019 8:37 pm

I honestly hate this for the mama bear. That entire situation could have been avoided had he not approached the bear. I agree with just viewing from a distance instead of almost becoming a bear static. Just my two cents.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm

jporcello wrote:I honestly hate this for the mama bear. That entire situation could have been avoided had he not approached the bear. I agree with just viewing from a distance instead of almost becoming a bear static. Just my two cents.

I agree he provoked it... But, we don't know the whole story, like if the guy has kids that live in the house, play in the yard, wait for the bus in the dark in the morning? If the thing is hanging around when his wife leaves for work, etc... And, obviously this was a very aggressive grizzly, it should of ran... I also don't know if the guy attempted to get fish and game to come over and remove it, or not...

I like the animals around my yard, obviously they are not bears, but I like them... to a point. My neighbors? not so much... They will shoot every woodchuck they see right now despite them having babieas right now cause they are digging holes in the precious lawn. Me, I could not bring myself to do that. Besides I like to watch them. The neighbors kill every possum, coon, cat, or other critter that dares not understand the property line. By law, they can... And I support there right to defend there property, but I still don't like it.

This guy had a bigger problem than a couple holes getting dug, and in a few of the areas grizzlys are present there is starting to be an over population problem cause the Liberals want to protect them everywhere, rather than in areas of under population. If this guy is in one of those areas, and has an aggressive grizzly living in his yard threatening the lives of his family, neighbors, joggers, and relitives that visit him, Im ok with his decision to try and scare it away and defending himself when it went wrong... Like you, I agree he made some major mistakes and obviously underestimated the grizzly... General public not understanding how to act around them is one more reason it should be in the wilderness, not in a backyard.

Not defending the way he went about it, but I understand him wanting it gone from the neighborhood.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Dan your absolutely right the entire story is not told here, I am assuming ignorance on the guys part. I agree with you game and fish needed to be called in this situation or any situation where there is a potential for any harm to come to any human being even if it’s a liberal lol.

dan wrote:
jporcello wrote:I honestly hate this for the mama bear. That entire situation could have been avoided had he not approached the bear. I agree with just viewing from a distance instead of almost becoming a bear static. Just my two cents.

I agree he provoked it... But, we don't know the whole story, like if the guy has kids that live in the house, play in the yard, wait for the bus in the dark in the morning? If the thing is hanging around when his wife leaves for work, etc... And, obviously this was a very aggressive grizzly, it should of ran... I also don't know if the guy attempted to get fish and game to come over and remove it, or not...

I like the animals around my yard, obviously they are not bears, but I like them... to a point. My neighbors? not so much... They will shoot every woodchuck they see right now despite them having babieas right now cause they are digging holes in the precious lawn. Me, I could not bring myself to do that. Besides I like to watch them. The neighbors kill every possum, coon, cat, or other critter that dares not understand the property line. By law, they can... And I support there right to defend there property, but I still don't like it.

This guy had a bigger problem than a couple holes getting dug, and in a few of the areas grizzlys are present there is starting to be an over population problem cause the Liberals want to protect them everywhere, rather than in areas of under population. If this guy is in one of those areas, and has an aggressive grizzly living in his yard threatening the lives of his family, neighbors, joggers, and relitives that visit him, Im ok with his decision to try and scare it away and defending himself when it went wrong... Like you, I agree he made some major mistakes and obviously underestimated the grizzly... General public not understanding how to act around them is one more reason it should be in the wilderness, not in a backyard.

Not defending the way he went about it, but I understand him wanting it gone from the neighborhood.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 am

"Lawrence Michalchuk, 54, told CBC News the sow and her three cubs had been living in his Bella Coola yard for days, and were acting territorial and threatening whenever someone tried to leave the house.

Finally, he'd had enough. So, he confronted the sow with a shotgun loaded with birdshot.

Lawrence said he had to do something about the bear, but never planned on having to shoot her. He'd hoped to just scare her away.

"What are your choices? You leave a bear in the yard who thinks it owns your yard … and then your kids go out there?"

Michalchuk's wife filmed the encounter and posted it on YouTube.

As you can see in the video, Michalchuk yelled at the bear and fired a warning shot. He yelled again and ran toward the bear. The grizzly then charged at Michalchuk, who ran backward as he raised the 12-gauge shotgun to his cheek and fired.

The bear fell and rolled over twice, shaking its head. Michalchuk turned and ran inside the house. The bear ran in the same direction and also went out of view.

You can hear his wife ask if he's OK...among other things.

Michalchuk, who said he's been hunting since childhood, didn't answer but could be heard breathing hard.

"The last thing I remember is that she was coming at me with her mouth open," he said in the interview.

"I didn't want to shoot her in the face so I clipped her in the right leg. Thank God when I shot, it did exactly what I hoped it would do: It tripped her."

Michalchuk told the CBC he's been met with backlash and threats since the video was posted, with many asking why he would provoke an aggressive mother bear with cubs.

But Michalkchuk said he didn't feel he had a choice. The grizzly and her cubs had been hanging around his property for several days and refused to leave.

Fortunately, after the incident, the bear eventually did leave the property."
Jamielukas

Unread postby Jamielukas » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:36 am

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:12 am

You know when dog has enough sense to get out of way. You have over stepped boundaries.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Man come out of his shoe. Bear grabbed it. The sow wanted him bad.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Given the circumstances I would probably have tried to scare it away also. Of course any of my tactics would have had me inside firing something outside so that a quick retreat wouldn't have been necessary. :D I also wouldn't have had my wife put that video out publicly.

Also just realized that she really didn't try to help the guy either, but just kept videoing. Wonder if she had just increased his life insurance policy? :lol:
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Once you shoot, you dont shoot to wound , you shoot to kill and should have shot him again and again. I would not have came at a bear like he did however.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 am

The guy was trying to scare the bear off and most of the time it works, but not this time, luckily for him he had a weapon. To bad it ended this way.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 am

I'd need new shorts :shock:
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:29 am

Wish I could bring my 870 along this week. Heading to Glacier NP and they have closed down some of the trails we planned on using due to aggressive Grizzly activity. The fiance is not real happy at the moment.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:01 am

ihookem wrote:Once you shoot, you dont shoot to wound , you shoot to kill and should have shot him again and again. I would not have came at a bear like he did however.

Exactly what I was thinking. The video specifically mentioned he shot at it hoping not to kill it. No, no, no. We all know a non fatal shot on an animal it can go a long way. And now you done really pissed it off. Dumb.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”