Bear over bait weapon choice

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mnbearbaiter

Re: Bear over bait weapon choice

Unread postby Mnbearbaiter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks guys. Lots of backing by you all on my initial worry with the roundballer (it's a percussion btw) not getting an exit wound and having a poor blood trail. It is an excellent deer firearm, fun to shoot, accurate as heck, etc....but I'm gonna leave it at home and after all the responses from you and reciprocate my hunting partner with the inline ml and heavier projectile with the rifle being brought as a backup for us. I've always set my stands inside of 25yds when firearm hunting and this hunt will be no different. Thanks again everybody

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:28 am

If there’s one tip I can give, and I always tell people this. Practice with your weapon in low light conditions.

And leave the high power scope at home.
homelessadam

Unread postby homelessadam » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:11 pm

No experience with a muzzleloader but in a centerfire I’d have no problem with anything from a .243 on up as long as the bullet is good enough to hold together. Last one I wacked was a decent sized boar and he didn’t go 20 yards after taking a 100 grain Barnes bullet from a 25/06. The last long tracking job was a .338 and the only reason it was recovered is because of my drahthaar.

A good hit bear won’t go as far as a deer,a bad hit bear won’t bed down as quick as a deer.They seem to just run.

Arrows work pretty great.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:46 am

I like to bowhunt them.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 am

Funny you mention using a muzzleloader. I thought I had a bear tag for Wisconsin this year but no. I was going to use my muzzleloader with 340 gr. lead bullet. I have 3 bear and my son has 1 . We used a .270 Win. I used 130 gr REM Coreloc, ( some call them core loss) . I had 2 drop on the spot and one ran off with the 130 gr. I should have known better that take a broadside shot through the lungs. It had an exit but the bear was jacked up and came running in so it had adrenaline going already . It was not at last light but a dark sky after a rain. It ran off hard and fast and went 125 yds. No blood before 50 yds and no blood after 90 yds. It was a nightmare out there myself tracking a wounded bear by myself and it was at dusk when I found it. It was so dark I thought I saw it and pointed my gun and yelled at it just to find it was a 6' black stump , but I found it 20yds later. It was 239 lbs gutted.
My son shot one coming in nice and calm it a quarter to us shot through the shoulders @ 20yds with a pass through with a 150 Gr Hornady in .270 Win. It went 20 ft. It blew shoulder bone into the heard and cut it all up, or it was the bullet. Listen to Jim Wallner. Not trolling him at all but he is in this business. A professional in bear. Like me a carpenter and have heard many opinions that just weren't so. There is nothing like a professional opinion. I am surprised he said leave the musket at home however but I wonder why Jim? I am shooting a 340 gr. soft lead bullet and thought it would be enough for pass through. I could go with my 45-70 but it kicks terrible. I can so for sure, that was a tough tracking job and never want to do that again. Also, I know Jim Wallner sais leave the musket home. If you insist on a round ball , you can get harder lead round balls and I think they will blast through a bear. A 50 cal. roundball however is only 144gr? A 54 is 225? Not that big but sure should work.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun May 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Bow. It’s a rush that I do not get with any other weapon for any type of game.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”