What to do with a bear?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeB
500 Club

Re: What to do with a bear?

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to try and give it a shot! I will keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Dewey, I would hate to run across your mount walking through the house half asleep! Looks good!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 pm

JakeB wrote:Thanks everyone! I think I’m going to try and give it a shot! I will keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Dewey, I would hate to run across your mount walking through the house half asleep! Looks good!

Figured you would like the shadow effect. :lol:

I mounted my bear exactly how he looked when I put my killing shot second arrow in him. My first shot from stand was a little high so I had to climb down a finish him from the ground. Let’s just say it was a buttpuckering moment. :o
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 am

I did a spot & stalk bowhunt in British Columbia and I shot the 42nd bear I saw that week, so if you are on a spring hunt in the right area you should see a lot of bears if you're with the right outfitter. Spring hunts with a rifle have a pretty high success rate.

Seems like just about everyone wants a bear rug so that's a good option. A half mount is another good option, of course you need a place to put them, but they are pretty cool and will help you relive the excitement of the hunt every time you see it.

As many have said on here, the meat is great, spring or fall, as long as you take care of it right. There's a lot of good information about processing bears on my youtube channel, here's a sampling:
https://youtu.be/6FHOAuENFsw
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:23 am

Bear meat is delicious! As others have said. Grind some and use it in pasta sauce, chili and sausage. I braise alot of the muscles from the shoulders, also great for stews. It's great sliced thinly in a stir fry. I cut the ribs from the spine and make some really delicious bbq ribs. I don't cook many steaks, because you do have to cook it through, but it really shines in slow cooked recipes and ground applications. I gave some to a friend who didn't have much experience with wild game and she said I better kill another next fall because it is their family's new favorite meat.

Also, not sure how much fat you will get from a spring bear, but I cut all the fat away and render it down to use as a cooking fat. I got more than a gallon from my fall bear. It's great to sear venison, bear, pan fry fish, and make biscuits and pie crusts with. If you really want to get serious you can make bear confit, which is cured bear that is then fully submerged in it's own fat and cooked very slowly for hours, it'll knock your socks off it's so good. Before refined oils and butter were readily available in America it was the only option for cooking fat and imo it's superior to any other cooking fat.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 am

Clean the meat really well, meaning get all the fat and grissle off it and then cook it and eat it. It is fantastic tablefare.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:13 am

If I ever kill a bear I'd want a full body mount of course. But the reality for me is I have no extra money for mounts .
Id probably have to skin the bear myself as fast as possible and cut the hide in peices. Then quarter and haul out in multiple trips. No time for a perfect skin. Probably just save the scull with a pic :?
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:23 pm

In my experience spring bear meat is leaner. Makes phenomenal burger.
Persistence is undefeated.
Theschmitt

Unread postby Theschmitt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Just learned how to post picture. Hopefully
[url][url=http://thehuntingbeast.com/copper/displayimage.php?pid=3443]Image[/url][/url]

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”