Changes coming to WI bear tags

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Changes coming to WI bear tags

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:09 am

I wonder how this new population model compares to what Minnesota and other states are using.

http://www.bucksbullsbears.com/2019/01/ ... ing-model/

Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Re: Changes coming to WI bear tags

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm

I must be super tired. That article confused me horribly. They have less bears but are going to issue more permits and expect lower Hunter success?
"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:35 am

well you still dont have the bear densities like NJ but its getting there better start bagging and tagging.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:33 am

Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:57 am

Yes this is confusing as to how it makes sense that there are less bears, but more tags going out. Must just be their prediction models? Oh well, less bear running around is only good for fawn populations.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:16 am

Chuck B wrote:Yes this is confusing as to how it makes sense that there are less bears, but more tags going out. Must just be their prediction models? Oh well, less bear running around is only good for fawn populations.

i find bear poo all spring and summer full of fawn hair bears make a major impact on deer. they kill fawns compete over bedding and food they are crazy destructive. this season i saw over 40 different bears while hunting. thats about 4 a week threw out the season some days id see half a dozen in the oak flats all day long. they were literally sleeping under the oak trees. they really effect deer movement and make totally random deer bedding. every day the deer were someplace else.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 am

Seems to me it's all based on the changes in the way they monitor the bear population. Since they are using a new method to estimate the bear population they are adjusting their harvest quotas accordingly.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:49 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
Chuck B wrote:Yes this is confusing as to how it makes sense that there are less bears, but more tags going out. Must just be their prediction models? Oh well, less bear running around is only good for fawn populations.

i find bear poo all spring and summer full of fawn hair bears make a major impact on deer. they kill fawns compete over bedding and food they are crazy destructive. this season i saw over 40 different bears while hunting. thats about 4 a week threw out the season some days id see half a dozen in the oak flats all day long. they were literally sleeping under the oak trees. they really effect deer movement and make totally random deer bedding. every day the deer were someplace else.

Was that during a bear season? That would be a fun way to hunt them.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:

Was that during a bear season? That would be a fun way to hunt them.

was like that all fall till acorns dried out. problem is bear hunting is banned on public land in nj now so its hard too find a place too hunt them now.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

The southern 2 thirds of Wisconsin (zone c) has a lot less bears than the northern 3rd yet anybody in the world can get a zone C tag within a year.

And the population in zone C has been growing
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:16 pm

john1984 wrote:

The southern 2 thirds of Wisconsin (zone c) has a lot less bears than the northern 3rd yet anybody in the world can get a zone C tag within a year.

And the population in zone C has been growing

Not anymore. they reduced tags in C. read the memo I posted.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:00 am

I see more bears and tracks in Price/ Sawyer co. Wis. than I ever had. Even in the snow during deer season, we see tracks . There were several bear running around during gun season this year . I didn't see them but the tracks are there and more every gun season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”