Bears and cattails

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Bears and cattails

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 pm

So I wont draw a tag til 2020 and have been goin back and forth between diy and goin w an outfitter. So I've been doin some cyber scouting and found a large what I thought was swamp but upon further investigation it's a cattail marsh (I guess I gravitate to them haha). How the heck would bear move in a cattail marsh? I talked to the biologist for this area and he said it has a good number of bears? Any advice?

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Bears and cattails

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:08 am

brkissl82 wrote:So I wont draw a tag til 2020 and have been goin back and forth between diy and goin w an outfitter. So I've been doin some cyber scouting and found a large what I thought was swamp but upon further investigation it's a cattail marsh (I guess I gravitate to them haha). How the heck would bear move in a cattail marsh? I talked to the biologist for this area and he said it has a good number of bears? Any advice?

i see lots of bears nesting in bogs right on the inside of the cats they love getting under blue berry bushes on little 8 foot chunks of high ground. you should be able too see there trails on a satellite image. simply walk the edge just like for deer and hunt the exit trails on fresh sign. you can totally hunt them the same as deer in a marsh. and its a great way too kill a monster thats bait shy. just keep in mind that they can be miles away the next day so keep moving till you find fresh sign then setup and hit it. setup on down wind trails in morning watching for movement then setup early for afternoon hunts. alot of times you can hear active bears in the cats they make way more noise than deer. im surprised more people dont target bear beds its a killer tactic if you know how too do it. ive killed 3 setting up over beds like this three years in a row.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
brkissl82
500 Club

Re: Bears and cattails

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:31 am

Thanx for the advice!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”