PA Bears

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

twoheartedloon

PA Bears

Unread postby twoheartedloon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:58 pm

This will be my first season hunting bear and I'm looking for some ideas on what to look for. I know to to look for scratching, tracks, scat, oaks, any kind of fruit really, but what about topographical features? Are there any specifics you look for or is more vegetation based?

I have found some scat, but it was in July along a blackberry grove. I also have a bear that recently started popping up on my trail cam, using a ditch to travel through. Although I'm not sure where she (I think it's a lone sow based on some reading) is going to and coming from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: PA Bears

Unread postby csoult » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:06 pm

We have a podcast with a bear hunter who’s taken quite a few bear. None on bait, none on drives, and a few with a bow in PA. Check it out.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:07 pm

BenVW
Facebook: www.facebook.com/massasaugaoutdoors

Unread postby BenVW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 am

I am curious about the licenses there in PA. Does the general hunting license allow someone to tag a deer with it? I know the Bear tag is separate. I read the regs buy wasn't sure. How are the Bear numbers in 2B?

Thanks!
twoheartedloon

Unread postby twoheartedloon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am

BenVW wrote:I am curious about the licenses there in PA. Does the general hunting license allow someone to tag a deer with it? I know the Bear tag is separate. I read the regs buy wasn't sure. How are the Bear numbers in 2B?

Thanks!

The general hunting license include a buck tag, small game license, fall turkey tag, and spring turkey tag. It's both a great deal and a sign that PA needs to raise their fees. The deer tag can be used to tag a buck, however if you take the deer during archery season you must have an archery license to archery hunt - although you still use the tag from your original hunting license.
twoheartedloon

Unread postby twoheartedloon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 am

csoult wrote:http://theopenairproject.com/2017/07/09/episode-10-dee-hall/

I'll be sure to give it a listen, appreciate it!
BenVW
Facebook: www.facebook.com/massasaugaoutdoors

Unread postby BenVW » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:41 am

twoheartedloon wrote:
BenVW wrote:I am curious about the licenses there in PA. Does the general hunting license allow someone to tag a deer with it? I know the Bear tag is separate. I read the regs buy wasn't sure. How are the Bear numbers in 2B?

Thanks!

The general hunting license include a buck tag, small game license, fall turkey tag, and spring turkey tag. It's both a great deal and a sign that PA needs to raise their fees. The deer tag can be used to tag a buck, however if you take the deer during archery season you must have an archery license to archery hunt - although you still use the tag from your original hunting license.

Got it, Thanks! Yeah that is one cheap Bear / Deer/ Turkey/ Small game license(s) for non residents!
Thanks again.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm

2B is pretty much void of bear. There's been a few killed in 2B...very very few. I can think of 2-3 in recent years...it's mostly all private land and difficult to gain access on...they don't want bears populating that area due to the number of people/houses etc which is why the season runs clear through there....

Our base license isn't a bad deal....but like was said, you have to make sure you have all the right tags and stamps...bear is separate. Muzzleloader is separate. Archery is separate etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”