Stand or Blind?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ravenhunter

Stand or Blind?

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:25 am

So we have our baits set and ready to go. We’re both mobile hunters and shoot recurve and longbows. I’m thinking of sitting on the ground by one of the baits vs setup in a tree. The group spot is about 15’ away from the barrels vs the closest suitable tree is 20 yards approx. Any thoughts or opinions on ground vs tree stands?

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Stand or Blind?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 am

Ravenhunter wrote:So we have our baits set and ready to go. We’re both mobile hunters and shoot recurve and longbows. I’m thinking of sitting on the ground by one of the baits vs setup in a tree. The group spot is about 15’ away from the barrels vs the closest suitable tree is 20 yards approx. Any thoughts or opinions on ground vs tree stands?

For me, it depends on a number of things. When I have invested a lot of time and work into a setup I want it to succeed. If the ground blind will hinder your chances in any way I'd stick to a stand. If you have many bears under your belt and want the excitement of ground hunting... I get it. I like to have a barrier prevailing downwind of my ground setups to improve my chances of a bruin showing up- especially if he can quarter into the wind on his approach but have a difficult time getting downwind of your ground set up.
Ravenhunter

Re: Stand or Blind?

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:06 am

Thanks for the tips. I hunted this spring from the ground but never saw a bear. I’m just on the fence about stand or ground. I definitely feel more confident shooting from the ground with my longbow.
Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”