Dan: 2018 bear season

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Dan: 2018 bear season

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:43 am

Dan, about Labor Day Weekend noise . A long time ago I was baiting hard and went up Labor Day. I had a bear come in every night I baited right at dusk. Then Labor Day we did some shooting, went down to the river , fished and canoed. That night the bear did not come in till 11PM. So yes, even a consistent bear, ( if there is a thing) will shy away when the noise starts.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Good luck Dan. Shoot a big one 8-)
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 am

UPDATE: yesterday Dan had a bear come in close in the thick, bite/snap a tree off and run off at last light. Big Hunt had one come in close behind him, not shot offered, and walk away. Baits are being hit each evening.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:26 am

Opening evening I had the big bear get up where expected and do a circle all the way around the bait till he was directly down wind. At that point he made a loud snapping noise like he bit a small tree or something and then walked off and never returned while I was up there. I did not expect him to circle down wind cause where he was bedding was very thick swamp cover and the bait was in the thick on the edge and I used an open mature hardwoods as a down wind barrier expecting he would not circle into the more open woods, but he did...

While baiting opening day on the other real active bait I heard the bear get up close in the very thick cover down wind of the bait and walk off.... Then he quit coming in. That bait only got hit once after that and Im not all that sure it was a bear.

One bait went dead on its own...

The 4th and final bait has 1 active bear on it that is in the 250 / 300 pound range. But it likes to come in randomly about once or twice a week, usually in the evening and then stay at the bait for about 12 hours eating everything, then not come back for several days to a week... Sat on that bait 3 days. Not the 3 he came in. Should have been there opening day.

One lesson I am quickly learning is that summer baiting will get all the bears coming in, but for that period when they slow, you seem to need to keep bait out there constantly and teach them that when they come back there will be food there. I see much better results if the baits are baited daily for at least a week before season... I am pretty sure that's why Bighunt was having the action he was having this year, he went up early and fed them daily. Maybe he can reply his thoughts?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:05 am

Good luck Dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”