Mn bear lottery

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Mn bear lottery

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:07 am

Does anyone know if there is a place that a person can go to get draw odds for mn bear tag draw odds? I have 3 points and I put in for unit 27 and 51. Has anyone else put in for these units and drawn with 3 points or will it take more?

"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: Mn bear lottery

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:26 am

I couldn't find the 2017 results. I think they should be out soon.

On p. 11 of this document they show the 2016 results.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/bear/2016_bearharvest.pdf
Skyler_2010

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you!
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:07 am

There has been some points creep in several zones. I hope to draw 45 with four points but it may take five now. All depends on how many tags are allowed. Hoping they go to at last 250 for zone 45 which will at least stop the creep.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:There has been some points creep in several zones. I hope to draw 45with four points but it may take five now. All depends on how many tags are allowed. Hoping they go to at last 250 for zone 45 which will at least stop the creep.

Freelance... whats the secrete about zone 45 or is it close to where you live? I think I have 4 points for MN
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:38 am

Area 45 is the area where I bear hunt as well.. in the last few years they dropped the available permits to 150.. this sucks as it makes drawing a tag at least a 4 year wait.. I was told, by the landowner that according to a dnr officer in the vicinity that they are doing this in the hope of making mn a bear hunting destination and much more appealing to out of state hunters... I basically hunt there due to location from where i reside, ease of access etc..
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 pm

SwampThing1980 wrote:Area 45 is the area where I bear hunt as well.. in the last few years they dropped the available permits to 150.. this sucks as it makes drawing a tag at least a 4 year wait.. I was told, by the landowner that according to a dnr officer in the vicinity that they are doing this in the hope of making mn a bear hunting destination and much more appealing to out of state hunters.. I basically hunt there due to location from where i reside, ease of access etc..

I wouldn't and don't believe that for one second. The DNR have finally figured out how to manage bears in that zone without turning it into a circus, etc. If anything, it will make your 4 year wait a better quality hunt, and that goes for everyone :dance:
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:07 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Freelance Bowhunter wrote:There has been some points creep in several zones. I hope to draw 45with four points but it may take five now. All depends on how many tags are allowed. Hoping they go to at last 250 for zone 45 which will at least stop the creep.

Freelance... whats the secrete about zone 45 or is it close to where you live? I think I have 4 points for MN

I live in Zone 45.

The bear population is extremely high here and I have talked at length with the two biologists Andy Tri and Dave Garschellis. They know the population is high but they are taking their time raising the number of tags. They are basically panicked by the thought that they may overharvest if we have a year with a complete failure of natural foods. Some others in the DNR are pressing for more bear tags and to split up ZOne 45, which is huge and diverse. In fact one told me he thought this area where I live (camp ripley and Crow Wing State Park) should be put in the no-quota.

There was an overharvest of bears ten years ago, and they really took a beating over it. It was just as much the hunters' fault as it was the biologists, because too many sows were killed. I believe the DNR, instead of such horrible over restriction on the number of tags, should launch an educational campaign to help reduce the number of sows that are shot, then we could have more tags. It's a long and complicated story, but they really need to make some changes. Unfortunately they are really gunshy about it.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:48 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I live in Zone 45.

The bear population is extremely high here and I have talked at length with the two biologists Andy Tri and Dave Garschellis. They know the population is high but they are taking their time raising the number of tags. They are basically panicked by the thought that they may overharvest if we have a year with a complete failure of natural foods. Some others in the DNR are pressing for more bear tags and to split up ZOne 45, which is huge and diverse. In fact one told me he thought this area where I live (camp ripley and Crow Wing State Park) should be put in the no-quota.

There was an overharvest of bears ten years ago, and they really took a beating over it. It was just as much the hunters' fault as it was the biologists, because too many sows were killed. I believe the DNR, instead of such horrible over restriction on the number of tags, should launch an educational campaign to help reduce the number of sows that are shot, then we could have more tags. It's a long and complicated story, but they really need to make some changes. Unfortunately they are really gunshy about it.

Yes the DNR do not want to make that same mistake twice. Managing wildlife is a tough task even harder satisfying the public.
rickwalley

Unread postby rickwalley » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:17 am

Skyler (and others).............
Here's a link to a MN forum where I posted a PDF attachment with the MN 2017 lottery results data. I also wanted it for planning purposes, and MN doesn't post it until spring of the following year. I reached out to the DNR last fall and luckily they were helpful, ahead of them formally releasing this info within their larger "Harvest Report" document.

http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic ... ery-dates/

Good luck.
Skyler_2010

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 am

Thank you so much Rick! I had just asked my mother in law who works in the grand rapids office and she said they just got the last of the tooth samples in from 2017 season :angry-banghead: send those teeth in! I'm sure everyone on here does right away tho lol
Skyler_2010

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:54 am

Last year was 53% in the unit I'm looking at for 3 points. Should I plan on that percentage going down this year or staying close to the same?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 am

I have noticed a much better hunt in the unit I hunt since they started making it harder to draw. A lot more bears and better quality with less competition.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

I just looked and could not find bear applications? Are they not out yet?
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:46 am

rickwalley wrote:Skyler (and others).............
Here's a link to a MN forum where I posted a PDF attachment with the MN 2017 lottery results data. I also wanted it for planning purposes, and MN doesn't post it until spring of the following year. I reached out to the DNR last fall and luckily they were helpful, ahead of them formally releasing this info within their larger "Harvest Report" document.

http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/topic ... ery-dates/

Good luck.

Please post that link directly to this page so the rest of us can see it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”