Distance between baits

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NEbowman

Distance between baits

Unread postby NEbowman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 am

Hey guys, wondering if you all have a minimum or maximum distance you set your baits apart from one another? Trying to be efficient with the placement of 4 baits between my buddy and my self, while having the best chance of attracting different bears to each site. Just trying to avoid the same bears bouncing between baits in one area.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Distance between baits

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 am

Depends on the population of bears in your area. I have had multiple bears visit other bait stations 5 miles apart then again I have had bait stations only 1 mile away from one another and never had bears at one station visit the other. I think a bear picks his territory (bait station) where it feels safe at the time. To play it some what safe I would stay at least 3 miles away from one another, you never want to be hunting one bear when he's visiting your other bait station where your not at.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 am

Mike Foss wrote:Depends on the population of bears in your area. I have had multiple bears visit other bait stations 5 miles apart then again I have had bait stations only 1 mile away from one another and never had bears at one station visit the other. I think a bear picks his territory (bait station) where it feels safe at the time. To play it some what safe I would stay at least 3 miles away from one another, you never want to be hunting one bear when he's visiting your other bait station where your not at.

X2 couldn't agree more.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 am

I agree with Mike. What I see is it’s usually the sow and cubs that move from bait to bait. It really depends on your terrain features also.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 am

My general rule of thumb is a minimum of two miles but in some areas of really high bear populations I may put them a little less. I would prefer 3 miles or more all other things being equal. I do have two baits that are 1.5 miles apart in Ontario but there is no competition from other baiters and the bear population is very high and I generally don't see the same bears at both baits. I know of one instance where a sow with three cubs visited one bait early in the day and another bait 8 miles away later in the same day.
NEbowman

Unread postby NEbowman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm getting pumped up for our fall season already. We've got 6 possible locations picked out, we'll probably pick 4 more possibilities and then narrow it down to 4 finalists after scouting them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”