WI zone c bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERHUNTER57

WI zone c bear hunting

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 am

I am a first time bear hunter and doing a DIY hunt. I have a small cabin in Jackson county and a have baiting north/south of 54 around the City Point area on county and state land. Up until about 2-3 weeks (started baiting first part of July) ago my bait site where hit a regular basis and now maybe hit every 3-4 days , star. Some bears just walk by and do nothing. I tried switching the bait a little bit so we will so what happens. Noticed some guys baiting about (2) miles away on labor day, claimed I was invading "their" turf. Said they start bait sites and sell them on craiglist for income. I hunted 4 days opening week and 3 day this past weekend (it was hot 92 deg on Fri) saw nothing. I haven't noticed any other hunters in the area or heard any shots. At this point I am just keeping my sites fresh and hoping maybe some other hunters/baiters loose interest and give up. Any feedback or suggestions appreciated

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: WI zone c bear hunting

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Keep on plugging away, don't give up. Most guys will stop baiting within the first two weeks, hopefully making your bait station or stations the only one around which in turn might pick up some. Let us know.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 am

Agree with Mike. It isn't over until the end of the season. Go heavy on scent. Lots and lots of scent.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 am

You didn't mention what you are baiting with, how often you are baiting, how much bait are you using, etc. That has a lot to do with it. So does location. If you have other baiters nearby you need to have high quality bait and plenty of it. Hit it with Northwoods Gold Rush and use really good quality bait, like trail mix, dried fruit, pastries, etc. You bait just has to be better and safer for the bears and you will get them to stay nearby. 2 miles is nothing for a big bear to travel. Get as much good bait in them as you can then they will lay up nearby to sleep it off and when they are hungry again they will be right close.
DEERHUNTER57

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Agree with Mike. It isn't over until the end of the season. Go heavy on scent. Lots and lots of scent.

Got a recommendation? I have been using Anise, Bacon and switched to liquid smoke this past weekend. Evey time I bait I spray the whole are down, And also when I am in the treestand I spray around also ocassionaly
DEERHUNTER57

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:You didn't mention what you are baiting with, how often you are baiting, how much bait are you using, etc. That has a lot to do with it. So does location. If you have other baiters nearby you need to have high quality bait and plenty of it. Hit it with Northwoods Gold Rush and use really good quality bait, like trail mix, dried fruit, pastries, etc. You bait just has to be better and safer for the bears and you will get them to stay nearby. 2 miles is nothing for a big bear to travel. Get as much good bait in them as you can then they will lay up nearby to sleep it off and when they are hungry again they will be right close.

Been baiting every 4 days, When a leave on Sunday and when I get back on Thursday, primary site has (2) 5 gallon stumps, (1) stump I fill with pastries, bread, blueberry bagels etc, and top it off with donut fillings strawberry, apple etc and top off with fryer oil with gold rush. Stump (2) gets filled granola, dried cranberries, holloween candy korn, peanuts, peanut butter, etc. Seem to take any from 8 hours to 2-3 days for them to hit it. They don't really finish off when their hit it, unlke back in July. Hoping anybody surrounding me gives and stops baiting to draw more attention to my sites. Thanks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 am

Main thing is to make sure you mix it in fryer oil. Water based scent is bad news...especially this time of year with the heavy dew every morning. A lot of scent companies make additives specifically made to mix with the oil. They all work good. Don't be afraid to spread at least a few gallons. Cover everything. Get it high.

Also, if you aren't using trail mix, start. It's the first thing gone this time of year. Cookies, granola, pastries, etc are left for the coons. But they will hunt down the nuts.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 am

Sounds like you are doing it right, I would tweak a couple things. Use as much stuff as possible right now that mimics natural foods such as trail mix and fruits if you can get them. Also I wouldn't advise using the gold rush right on the bait. Smells terrific but I don't know what it tastes like and I don't want to find out. Spread it on the bushes and ground where they walk.

Good luck, I think it will pick back up for you sounds like you have good program.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Oats and molasis have always worked for me this time of year.. But also like every one else said make sure to have best bait in the area for scent I used to pour grease all around bait and molasis on stump logs ect bears will leave that scent all over the woods.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Keep plugging. Don't give up. Keep your baits fresh and put out a lot of scent. I'd drop scent the whole way into the bait and out. This should help draw other bears in. You'll get one. Just stay after it. Good luck!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
DEERHUNTER57

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 pm

So I decided to skip last weekend (the heat) did drive up on Fri. afternoon baited and came back home, bait was hit but not fully gone. Just got back make a 5 hour round trip to bait again. Bait was all gone from Fri. , trail camera shows two coming in just after dark. When I left on Fri. I did REALLY scent the place up a lot Gold rush with fryer oil sprayed everywhere, liquid smoke etc. it did seem to make a difference. I am going back up Thurs for a 3-4 day hunt. Will the weather change cooling down make them more active? thanks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 pm

DEERHUNTER57 wrote:So I decided to skip last weekend (the heat) did drive up on Fri. afternoon baited and came back home, bait was hit but not fully gone. Just got back make a 5 hour round trip to bait again. Bait was all gone from Fri. , trail camera shows two coming in just after dark. When I left on Fri. I did REALLY scent the place up a lot Gold rush with fryer oil sprayed everywhere, liquid smoke etc. it did seem to make a difference. I am going back up Thurs for a 3-4 day hunt. Will the weather change cooling down make them more active? thanks

That cold front that came in right before opening day completely shut ALL my BAITS down!!! I personally believe that cold weather shut bears down. ..as soon as the warm weather came back ... boom bait are pounded again. It will be interesting to see what this fold front brings! I to am still hunting zone C
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Our baits are picking back up again...still decent weather in the forecast... Good Luck
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Cool is OK. Warm is good. Cold is bad. Hot is bad, but not as bad as cold. You aren't hunting deer.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Cool is OK. Warm is good. Cold is bad. Hot is bad, but not as bad as cold. You aren't hunting deer.

Yes lol...the sun, moon and stars all have to align for everything to come together. Not that you cant shoot a bear in very cold weather or extreme hot weather like the first two days of the opener, its just that, that perfect weather increases your odds greatly. :confusion-waiting:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”