Zone C

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Zone C

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:26 am

Been doing allot of thinking about the Zone C area. Without experiencing it for myself its just some ideas I have for hunting it. It is my understanding there's lots of pressure in certain parts, some more, some less. With being able to draw a tag more frequently than in other zones I wouldn't hesitate to burn a tag (experiment without success) to figure those bears out. In the Spring when baiting opens (April) I would establish 3 bait stations and pre-set for your tree stand ambush but don't leave it in there, now there's not to many crazies out there that would spend the time and money in early baiting, there's other activities people are interested in such as turkey hunting etc. Once those bait stations are very active and there should be bears from miles around that would eventually find and remember where they are. Once your satisfied enough bears are coming in (stop baiting June 1st) and have found your stations, DROP IT and STOP baiting it. In the meantime continue baiting other stands you plan to hunt but not the 3 mentioned above.

This is where it would be interesting... the week of the bear season opener I would go back to those 3 pre-baited stands, scent it up heavy, throw trail cameras on them and start baiting them again and see what happens. Who knows, maybe you can fool those bears and the heavy competition ;)

stash59

Re: Zone C

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:02 am

:think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:37 am

Sounds like a fun experiment.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:37 am

Advice taken
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am

Mike I think you should apply for Zone C, and keep the bow in your hands only.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

If this works...it still needs to be tested...there is no reason why this wouldn't work in the no quota zone in MN as well.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:39 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:If this works...it still needs to be tested...there is no reason why this wouldn't work in the no quota zone in MN as well.

Except you can only bait 2 1/2 weeks prior to season
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 am

swampyak wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:If this works...it still needs to be tested...there is no reason why this wouldn't work in the no quota zone in MN as well.

Except you can only bait 2 1/2 weeks prior to season

:lol: good call!
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:17 am

Yeah this would be illegal in MN. I think it would be interesting to see how well it worked but I suspect it would be more successful if you dropped some bait in there periodically during the summer. Maybe a bucket or two every other week. I think that would have the bears checking it more often and bring them in quicker once you are hunting it.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Yeah this would be illegal in MN. I think it would be interesting to see how well it worked but I suspect it would be more successful if you dropped some bait in there periodically during the summer. Maybe a bucket or two every other week. I think that would have the bears checking it more often and bring them in quicker once you are hunting it.

Part of the idea is to stay away and don't attract any attention from other hunters etc :shhh:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Yeah this would be illegal in MN. I think it would be interesting to see how well it worked but I suspect it would be more successful if you dropped some bait in there periodically during the summer. Maybe a bucket or two every other week. I think that would have the bears checking it more often and bring them in quicker once you are hunting it.

Part of the idea is to stay away and don't attract any attention from other hunters etc :shhh:

In that case, I'd leave a trail camera up. One benefit of baiting early is the chance to claim an area in Zone C. If the site doesn't look active, it's fair game. You may return to find someone else has set up shop and has been baiting every other day for 8 - 10 weeks. :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

In that case, I'd leave a trail camera up. One benefit of baiting early is the chance to claim an area in Zone C. If the site doesn't look active, it's fair game. You may return to find someone else has set up shop and has been baiting every other day for 8 - 10 weeks. :lol:

Agreed with bass

We're talking about an area ( zone C ) that has a bait every half mile to a mile down every Road on public...

I seen it in 2015 and I'm seeing it this year... if somebody sees that you're baiting in an area 99% of the people leave you alone..every once in a while you'll get a nob who thinks it's their territory and bait right next to you anyway (couple hundred yards )... Dan experienced that this year.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Mike called me the other day and we were discussing this idea. I really like the idea of baiting till a couple weeks before dogs, then not baiting till after dogs. I have lost a lot of bears when dogs chase them away that then fear the bait. They would never associate the bait with danger if they are not hitting it when dogs are chasing.... :think:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 pm

dan wrote:Mike called me the other day and we were discussing this idea. I really like the idea of baiting till a couple weeks before dogs, then not baiting till after dogs. I have lost a lot of bears when dogs chase them away that then fear the bait. They would never associate the bait with danger if they are not hitting it when dogs are chasing.... :think:

Definitely worth an experiment. I would establish twice as many baits. Half to this protocol.

Honestly, the dogs didn't have to be directly on the baits to have a negative impact. Activity shut down every weekend when I had dogs in the area. Pressure is pressure. It can be dogs, people, wolves etc. If there is more scent in different places, they shut down daylight wise.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:Mike called me the other day and we were discussing this idea. I really like the idea of baiting till a couple weeks before dogs, then not baiting till after dogs. I have lost a lot of bears when dogs chase them away that then fear the bait. They would never associate the bait with danger if they are not hitting it when dogs are chasing.... :think:

Definitely worth an experiment. I would establish twice as many baits. Half to this protocol.

Honestly, the dogs didn't have to be directly on the baits to have a negative impact. Activity shut down every weekend when I had dogs in the area. Pressure is pressure. It can be dogs, people, wolves etc. If there is more scent in different places, they shut down daylight wise.

Agreed... Pressure killed a bunch of my spots this year. I ran into a lot of guys that got there tag with no prefferance points, it seems like the WDNR is trying to eradicate bears. It was real interesting to see good baits go completely dead after a guy sets up a bait 300 yards away, and drives to it opening day. One of these baits had 10 different bears coming in, and the guy was not that close but he drove to his bait to hunt and drove out at dark within a couple hundred yards of the bait where trucks normally don't go. They didn't go nocturnal, and they didn't get sporadic, they just completely stopped hitting. Pressure is huge with bears.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”