Hunting Around Old Forest Fires

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Hunting Around Old Forest Fires

Unread postby Octang » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Ok, I have another bear hunting question.

What are your thoughts on hunting around an old forest fire area? Looking at satellite imagery I found an area affected by a forest fire 10 years ago that creates a hard transition with dense forest.

I found a few other areas I am interested in hunting, but this one sticks out bc it is one of the few major terrain changes in a sea of miles and miles of endless forest. It is also pretty deep in, so it would take a considerable effort for me to get back to it, so it isnt like I can just casually check it out on my way past. Also, being my first bear hunt I don't really know about their habits to understand how this type of terrain may affect them so I figured it was a good learning opportunity either way.

Pros or cons to honing in on the area?

Here is a phot of the burn area terrain: Image

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Re: Hunting Around Old Forest Fires

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Set up on the rock out croppings and shoot down towards your bait.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:04 am

Jim Wallner wrote:Set up on the rock out croppings and shoot down towards your bait.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it might be one of the few places I might be able to get my scent further away from the bait, or even do some glassing if the terrain cooperates. I also thought perhaps the burn off would sprout a lot of berry bushes that would attract bears out of the sanctuary of the forest.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Octang wrote:
Jim Wallner wrote:Set up on the rock out croppings and shoot down towards your bait.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it might be one of the few places I might be able to get my scent further away from the bait, or even do some glassing if the terrain cooperates. I also thought perhaps the burn off would sprout a lot of berry bushes that would attract bears out of the sanctuary of the forest.

Lots of berries in new burns. But if it is dry they don't last long on rock outcroppings

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”