Michigan tags

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Michigan tags

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 am

Anyone else get a tag? I drew third. I said I wouldn't hunt that hunt again but I don't wanna wait 5 years between tags

Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Re: Michigan tags

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:35 am

I drew a Baraga 3rd period tag. Going for my 6th UP bear in as many years off all 3rd season tags.

That 3rd hunt can be better than the 1st hunt of you are hunting the right areas.
BenVW
Facebook: www.facebook.com/massasaugaoutdoors

Unread postby BenVW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 am

I drew Gladwin. Going to be a major challenge to find and hold Bears in this area due to such low Bear densities.. But should be a blast trying.
Good luck!
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am

Bear Magnum wrote:I drew a Baraga 3rd period tag. Going for my 6th UP bear in as many years off all 3rd season tags.

That 3rd hunt can be better than the 1st hunt of you are hunting the right areas.

Are blueberry patches good that late
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 am

BenVW wrote:I drew Gladwin. Going to be a major challenge to find and hold Bears in this area due to such low Bear densities.. But should be a blast trying.
Good luck!

How many points did that take
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 am

BenVW wrote:I drew Gladwin. Going to be a major challenge to find and hold Bears in this area due to such low Bear densities.. But should be a blast trying.
Good luck!

There's more than most people think around that area.
Bear Magnum

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:54 am

cedarsavage wrote:
Bear Magnum wrote:I drew a Baraga 3rd period tag. Going for my 6th UP bear in as many years off all 3rd season tags.

No, blueberries are totally done, as are all berries. Apples, black cherries, and acorns are the main food sources for bears that late. It are hunting Delta or Menominee counties corn fields are a good source too.
BenVW

Unread postby BenVW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:17 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
Good luck!

How many points did that take

I had 6 points.. I think it's possibly to draw with 5 also but forget the percentage. they did up the tag numbers for that zone due to the population increase.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:02 am

Bear Magnum wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:

No, blueberries are totally done, as are all berries. Apples, black cherries, and acorns are the main food sources for bears that late. It are hunting Delta or Menominee counties corn fields are a good source too.

Do you think a huge blueberry patch to cedar swamp transition would be a waste of time in the third season?
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:06 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Good luck!

You never know though. I know a guy that had newberry 3rd hunt in '13 I told him it was a waste of time to hunt after the dogs had been through. He ended up killing a giant from an old deer shack on bait a few days into the hunt, it just missed Boone
BenVW

Unread postby BenVW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 am

cedarsavage wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
Good luck!

You never know though. I know a guy that had newberry 3rd hunt in '13 I told him it was a waste of time to hunt after the dogs had been through. He ended up killing a giant from an old deer shack on bait a few days into the hunt, it just missed Boone

I hunted Gladwin 7 years ago.. Was able to get a Bear on cam hitting the bait daily but went cold 2 days before the opening day. I have Learned a lot and have access to much better spots I believe this time around. Heading up there tomorrow to scout some more spots.
I am sure there are some good Bear around there, but I am not too picky :)
Bear Magnum

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:11 am

cedarsavage wrote:Do you think a huge blueberry patch to cedar swamp transition would be a waste of time in the third season?

Not necessarily. If there are other food sources such as oak trees or black cherries near the cedar swamp, which often are found in the same areas as blueberries, then I would be very productive. Then you would have a continuous food source near the swamp from mid July to the end of September.

That being said, The berry crop in the UP is going to be bumper crazy this year. I was just walking a trail that I sometimes deer hunt, and the amount of unripe chokecherry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry I saw on the bushes was insane. Wild strawberries are out in force too, but they are already ripe.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 am

Bear Magnum wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:Do you think a huge blueberry patch to cedar swamp transition would be a waste of time in the third season?

Not necessarily. If there are other food sources such as oak trees or black cherries near the cedar swamp, which often are found in the same areas as blueberries, then I would be very productive. Then you would have a continuous food source near the swamp from mid July to the end of September.

That being said, The berry crop in the UP is going to be bumper crazy this year. I was just walking a trail that I sometimes deer hunt, and the amount of unripe chokecherry, raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry I saw on the bushes was insane. Wild strawberries are out in force too, but they are already ripe.

Maybe I'll try it and see how it goes then. I don't know the area really well, not many oaks but there may be some black cherries, I'll have to check it.
FrankB

Unread postby FrankB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 am

I drew Newberry 1st period. I found some good looking sign while deer hunting the last couple years that I plan on baiting.
BenVW

Unread postby BenVW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:36 am

FrankB wrote:I drew Newberry 1st period. I found some good looking sign while deer hunting the last couple years that I plan on baiting.

Good luck! I hunted up near Bay Mills reservation back on 05 in Chippewa co . Took a Bear on the second day. Keep us posted !

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”