Weather

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Weather

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 am

For you guys already baiting and have cameras out, I know its early in the baiting season but this cooler weather will be interesting. Let us know what your cameras tell you for the last couple days...has this cooler weather slowed down activity on your bait stations like it does in the Fall?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Weather

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 am

Mike Foss wrote:For you guys already baiting and have cameras out, I know its early in the baiting season but this cooler weather will be interesting. Let us know what your cameras tell you for the last couple days...has this cooler weather slowed down activity on your bait stations like it does in the Fall?

Mike -- it was interesting because when I was in Canada, cool weather really made a huge difference in the lack of bear movement. It was rainy and overcast most of the week.

You see that in the fall as well?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:For you guys already baiting and have cameras out, I know its early in the baiting season but this cooler weather will be interesting. Let us know what your cameras tell you for the last couple days...has this cooler weather slowed down activity on your bait stations like it does in the Fall?

Mike -- it was interesting because when I was in Canada, cool weather really made a huge difference in the lack of bear movement. It was rainy and overcast most of the week.

You see that in the fall as well?[/quote]

Yes, it happens in the Fall...interesting to see if it happens this time of year.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:14 am

My activity has been down on the cooler days so far. Honestly, I don't know if it's the weather, the later stage of the breeding season, or the greater amount of baiting activity in the woods.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 am

Mike Foss wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

You see that in the fall as well?[/quote]

Yes, it happens in the Fall...interesting to see if it happens this time of year.

Guys said 2016 was crazy for spring bear movement with 70-80 degree weather.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

My activity has been down on the cooler days so far. Honestly, I don't know if it's the weather,the later stage of the breeding season, or the greater amount of baiting activity in the woods.

I would put my money on the cooler than normal temps. I have never had activity slow down during or because of the breeding season, only increase. Bears are not like deer and corral there mates. Bears simply follow Sows where ever they go and patiently wait till the time is right. The boars might harass the sows a bit but never keep them in one spot.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:41 am

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

My activity has been down on the cooler days so far. Honestly, I don't know if it's the weather,the later stage of the breeding season, or the greater amount of baiting activity in the woods.

I would put my money on the cooler than normal temps. I have never had activity slow down during or because of the breeding season, only increase. Bears are not like deer and corral there mates. Bears simply follow Sows where ever they go and patiently wait till the time is right. The boars might harass the sows a bit but never keep them in one spot.

I think you are misinterpreting my comment. I was referring to less boars moving around because we are at getting close to the end of the breeding season. My highest activity on sites in Zone C is early June.

I still have the same local bears hitting my baits in this cool weather. I did notice more mid day movement the last week by the regulars. Perhaps that is cold driven.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 am

Yea. I was a little disappointed with last weeks card pull. This week is a lot colder than last... It will be interesting to check the cards. We would kill a lot more big bears in Wisconsin if they opened a little earlier like Minnesota. I will have to watch the weather. Really only thought about your cold / hot theory around hunting time.
Its funny, cause you hear a lot of guys talk about waiting for a cold front with bears. They are using deer tactics to hunt bears...
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Ran baits today and all the cams had a lot more pics then normal...most pics I have had in a week so far. With that said on my way back home to check cards and will see if the bears picked up or the coons did...one or the other did.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”