Bear bait question

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: Bear bait question

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 am

Michigan outlawed chocolate for anybody that is effected

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 pm

cedarsavage wrote:Michigan outlawed chocolate for anybody that is effected

Can you explain the law?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:Michigan outlawed chocolate for anybody that is effected

Can you explain the law?

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/michigan- ... bear-bait/
Travis Smola

Posted by Travis Smola

March 13, 2017

Michigan becomes the second state to ban chocolate as bear bait.

Bear hunters in Michigan will have to change the way they bait bears this season after the Natural Resources commission voted on several changes to bear hunting regulations.

The ban on chocolate is notable because Michigan is only the second state to ban its use for bear hunting. Mlive.com reports the other state that bans its use as bait is New Hampshire.

While chocolate is popular as bait in many states and bears do enjoy it, the decision was made because it isn’t good for bears. Theobromine, a chemical in chocolate, can poison bears. It’s the same chemical that can make dogs and other animals sick if they ingest it.

Baiting will still be legal, but hunters will have to find something else to substitute for chocolate or cocoa products. Luckily, bears are known to eat just about anything.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:54 pm

Interesting. I'd expect WI to follow but honestly don't think a law is necessary. The notice in the regs is good enough.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 pm

A good bait for me the last two years has been a mix of cracked corn, black sunflower seeds, soy beans, trail mix heavy in nuts, peanut butter and oil (as long as no meat was fried in it). Warm the oil and add the peanut butter in and keep heating tell the pb is basically melted...pour on to the grain and nut mix and mix the heck out of it. I will do a 55gal drum up by mixing 10gal at a time. This year going to try to add fruity pebbles to it and see how they like it.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 am

Hunt247365 wrote:A good bait for me the last two years has been a mix of cracked corn, black sunflower seeds, soy beans, trail mix heavy in nuts, peanut butter and oil (as long as no meat was fried in it). Warm the oil and add the peanut butter in and keep heating tell the pb is basically melted...pour on to the grain and nut mix and mix the heck out of it. I will do a 55gal drum up by mixing 10gal at a time. This year going to try to add fruity pebbles to it and see how they like it.

Looks like a great mixture, love using grease, all types of critters get it all over there paws leaving scent trails all over leading curious bears right back to the bait station. Many people do not realize you can use grease, as long as its strained and it stays in a liquid form (no animal by-products in it). We use a huge funnel with a screen in it to strain our grease, little time consuming but its well worth the extra time.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 am

Chewy fruity pebbles without a doubt is the best bear bait ever.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 am

One thing I've been doing is pouring grease and or molasses on my four wheeler tires when I leave the bait site hopefully leaving a pretty good scent trail.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”