I drew Wisconsin bear tag...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: I drew Wisconsin bear tag...

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 am

Dewey wrote:Bear zones and population distribution if anybody is interested.

Man are there that many more bears nowadays? The density map shows almost all of Portage county. Back when I grew up there. Bears were rare. With only a straggler or 2 sometimes showing up in the Mead area. Never ever even heard of a track below highway 10.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:55 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:Bear zones and population distribution if anybody is interested.

Man are there that many more bears nowadays? The density map shows almost all of Portage county. Back when I grew up there. Bears were rare. With only a straggler or 2 sometimes showing up in the Mead area. Never ever even heard of a track below highway 10.

I think this map is pretty accurate. There is a Ton of bears! I'm not an expert on the subject but far more than there needs to be imo.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 pm

No tag for me. 7 points. Northern Wisco. Frustrating for sure!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 pm

I'm done scouting until May. I have my sites set. Just need April 15th to be here.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Yea I'd say that map is pretty close on accuracy I've hunt bear in central Wisconsin and have had 5-6 bear hit a single site
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am

My annoyance with Wisconsin bear hunting is how the DNR cannibalizes its own hunters. Wisconsin residents have no greater chance of drawing a bear tag than nonresidents. Whereas, next door in Michigan(and most other states) residents can draw a tag almost every year while they leave a smaller percentage of tags for nonresidents to fight over.

It is kinda frustrating building up preference points for western hunts and seeing all of the homefield advantage residents get in each state (and rightfully so) and then discover your own state doesn't give you the same homefield advantage on restricted hunts.

#End rant
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 am

Octang wrote:My annoyance with Wisconsin bear hunting is how the DNR cannibalizes its own hunters. Wisconsin residents have no greater chance of drawing a bear tag than nonresidents. Whereas, next door in Michigan(and most other states) residents can draw a tag almost every year while they leave a smaller percentage of tags for nonresidents to fight over.

It is kinda frustrating building up preference points for western hunts and seeing all of the homefield advantage residents get in each state (and rightfully so) and then discover your own state doesn't give you the same homefield advantage on restricted hunts.

#End rant

X2 octang. Then again some people are lucky. While I'm sitting on a few points. My cousin has drawn a tag 2 years in a row
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Octang wrote:My annoyance with Wisconsin bear hunting is how the DNR cannibalizes its own hunters. Wisconsin residents have no greater chance of drawing a bear tag than nonresidents. Whereas, next door in Michigan(and most other states) residents can draw a tag almost every year while they leave a smaller percentage of tags for nonresidents to fight over.

#End rant

In MN nonresident have the same chance as residents also
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 am

swampyak wrote:

#End rant

Yeah, why do you think I put in for a MN bear tag this year! ;) I'm sure MN isn't the only similar example, but that still doesn't make it right in my opinion (for either state). Though, MN also offers otc tags for areas of the state as far north as people are taking 6+ years to draw tags for across the border, and I think it is the scarcity of the WI tags that makes this issue stick in my craw.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 am

Octang wrote:
swampyak wrote:

#End rant

Yeah, why do you think I put in for a MN bear tag this year! ;) I'm sure MN isn't the only similar example, but that still doesn't make it right in my opinion (for either state). Though, MN also offers otc tags for areas of the state as far north as people are taking 6+ years to draw tags for across the border, and I think it is the scarcity of the WI tags that makes this issue stick in my craw.

I can understand your frustration. Do you think being able to transfer a tag adds to the challenges of getting a tag
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 am

swampyak wrote:
Octang wrote:
swampyak wrote:

#End rant

I can understand your frustration. Do you think being able to transfer a tag adds to the challenges of getting a tag

Depends on which side of it you are on. Just the other day I was joking with my friend that I was gonna start building up preference points for my grandma in the nursing home so she could transfer them to me!
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:02 am

I'm getting married just before the opener next year so if I get drawn maybe I will transfer my tag.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”