I drew Wisconsin bear tag...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: I drew Wisconsin bear tag...

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am

Ruff wrote:My wife drew her tag in B for this fall. Son had his tag last fall and filled it in B over bait. Good luck to all that drew!

That Zone B holds some monster bears!

Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:32 am

Yes pulled a tag this year in C! Will be running some of the baits right away and a couple spots will hold off on and of course have a couple new areas I want to check out. Ran baits for my dad and I 2yrs ago and we filled both tags by day 5 and last year ran baits for a friend and his dad but his dad backed out the day before season and my friend was only able to hunt for 2 days....but had baits getting hit in daytime but no hunters to hunt them. Hopefully can keep it going for the 3rd year in a row. Just a little excited!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Hunt247365 wrote:Yes pulled a tag this year in C! Will be running some of the baits right away and a couple spots will hold off on and of course have a couple new areas I want to check out. Ran baits for my dad and I 2yrs ago and we filled both tags by day 5 and last year ran baits for a friend and his dad but his dad backed out the day before season and my friend was only able to hunt for 2 days....but had baits getting hit in daytime but no hunters to hunt them. Hopefully can keep it going for the 3rd year in a row. Just a little excited!

Awesome. I really enjoyed your hunt 2 years ago. I hope you stick a mega
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:18 am

I'm looking forward to following your efforts. We have it pretty good in Northern Ontario being able to buy two over the counter tags of which one is valid province wide. We also have two seasons where I live (for the time being because it's still open on a trial basis). I don't know if I will bait this year, but I will be trying to get one by spot and stalk in some of the cuts during May and June.

It's a nice clean way to hunt bears- although I probably won't see the variety of animals the bait hunters will.

If anyone wants to try a spring bear hunt I believe it is open to non residents. The only stipulation I know of is that a guide must be hired. It's probably too far and complicated to run your own bait sites up here anyway.

Dan - I hope your bear hunt leads to additional opportunities again this year. Your previous season was one of the most fun threads I can remember.

Good luck to everyone who draws this year.

Daniel.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I'm looking forward to following your efforts. We have it pretty good in Northern Ontario being able to buy two over the counter tags of which one is valid province wide. We also have two seasons where I live (for the time being because it's still open on a trial basis). I don't know if I will bait this year, but I will be trying to get one by spot and stalk in some of the cuts during May and June.

It's a nice clean way to hunt bears- although I probably won't see the variety of animals the bait hunters will.

If anyone wants to try a spring bear hunt I believe it is open to non residents. The only stipulation I know of is that a guide must be hired. It's probably too far and complicated to run your own bait sites up here anyway.

Dan - I hope your bear hunt leads to additional opportunities again this year. Your previous season was one of the most fun threads I can remember.

Daniel.

That sounds awesome. Do you have a strategy in mind to find target? When I lived east of Kenora, I'd see a fair amount of bears but usually it was when we were doing a portage across a lake. You would see a male skirting a rock face but they spooked easily.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:52 am

I will be following along with all your guys efforts. I've never bear hunted, but it always intrigued me. It seems like an awful lot of work, with all the traveling and baiting. How often do you need to replenish your bait?

Do most of you guys hunt public or private?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:07 am

tgreeno wrote:I will be following along with all your guys efforts. I've never bear hunted, but it always intrigued me. It seems like an awful lot of work, with all the traveling and baiting. How often do you need to replenish your bait?

Depends on the state. In WI, the limit is 10 gallons. During the early season, I generally do 10 gallons per week. Mid summer, a couple gallons as needed but i don't have to travel far.
Ruff

Unread postby Ruff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:20 am

tgreeno wrote:I will be following along with all your guys efforts. I've never bear hunted, but it always intrigued me. It seems like an awful lot of work, with all the traveling and baiting. How often do you need to replenish your bait?

We hunt a mix of private and public. We bait every other day when we fire up the baits and then every day a couple weeks before the season as needed.
Then opening day like every year the baits go dead. LOL
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:42 am

Sorry, missed the second half of your question.

I hunt mostly public. Way too many baits per square mile on the private I have access to.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 am

Me too. Zone A 7 points. Have a big one I'll be after. We harvested 2 last year a 200 and a 400 last year. I'm up and and know that another 400 is around. Should be exciting. Good luck all winners.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:I'm looking forward to following your efforts. We have it pretty good in Northern Ontario being able to buy two over the counter tags of which one is valid province wide. We also have two seasons where I live (for the time being because it's still open on a trial basis). I don't know if I will bait this year, but I will be trying to get one by spot and stalk in some of the cuts during May and June.

Daniel.

That sounds awesome. Do you have a strategy in mind to find target? When I lived east of Kenora, I'd see a fair amount of bears but usually it was when we were doing a portage across a lake. You would see a male skirting a rock face but they spooked easily.

What you need are big cuts, similar to this one where you can find bears with a spotting scope:

My taxidermist gets his bear most years stalking them with a bow once he finds them. You have to make sure that the wind is in your favor.

They browse almost exclusively for the first month after they get out of their dens. This makes them vulnerable where the tender shoots are coming out.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 am

I can't believe you guys are getting kill tags every other year , even if it is in zone C. Next year will be my 6th point for zone A. I doubt I will get one. I do have land In Shawano co., about 8 mi. west of Shawano. This kill tag every other year has me thinking. I have 56 ac. between my siblings and cousins but it is old corn field with small trees and grass. Has 1/2 mi. Red River frontage though. Did I hear one of you guys say you got a kill tag on the first try?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 am

ihookem wrote:I can't believe you guys are getting kill tags every other year , even if it is in zone C. Next year will be my 6th point for zone A. I doubt I will get one. I do have land In Shawano co., about 8 mi. west of Shawano. This kill tag every other year has me thinking. I have 56 ac. between my siblings and cousins but it is old corn field with small trees and grass. Has 1/2 mi. Red River frontage though. Did I hear one of you guys say you got a kill tag on the first try?

Yes you can draw on first try in C if you are lucky. Every other year is a sure thing these days.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Bear zones and population distribution if anybody is interested.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Daniel.

What you need are big cuts, similar to this one where you can find bears with a spotting scope:

My taxidermist gets his bear most years stalking them with a bow once he finds them. You have to make sure that the wind is in your favor.

They browse almost exclusively for the first month after they get out of their dens. This makes them vulnerable where the tender shoots are coming out.

That sounds like a blast. I bet the bugs are intense but sounds like a solid strategy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”