2017 WI Bear Hunt "NWO"

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

2017 WI Bear Hunt "NWO"

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Book your WI 2017 Bear hunt with Northern Wisconsin Outfitters "NWO" We are receiving many calls and are taking on a limited amount of bear hunters. For more Info please call Robert Haas at 715-373-0127 or Cell 715-209-1089 or respond with a PM to me. Good hunting

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: 2017 WI Bear Hunt "NWO"

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:50 am

The Deadline was Dec 10th. I am hoping everyone applied or got your preference points in. Expecting a tag this coming 2017, Its a long ways away from next September but its never to early to start planning your hunt. Do your homework early, good bear guide services book up early, don't get caught with your pants down scrambling, looking for some place to hunt. Good luck and hope to hear from you.

Northern Wisconsin Outfitters
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Nothing like seeing bear tracks in February. Only two and a half more months to go before baiting opens and Rob and I have acquired more private land. Very excited
Mark Bear

Unread postby Mark Bear » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am

Congrats to all of you that are about to find out if you drew a tag this year. I want to give my total recommendation to "Northern Wisconsin Outfitters".
I have spent the last to seasons in the NWO camp and can't say enough good things about the job that Robert and Mike do. Two years ago my 17 year old son drew a tag and we had a great father son hunt, he would have gotten a giant bear if he could have shot straight but was still a proud and successful bear hunter when all was said and done.
Last year my brother in law and I drew tags and knew immediately that NWO was who we were going to go with. We had a great time and both ended up successful in the end.
This year my brother and a friend just found out that they drew tags and will also be heading up to hunt with NWO and Robert and Mike.
If anyone has any question about our hunts I would be glad to share anything you want .

Congrats again to all who drew tags
Mark Baryenbruch
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for the info !!! That is correct...Looks as if the Wisconsin 2017 Bear draw was today !!! My 11 preference points were cashed in !! Time to harvest a 2017 WI bear !!! :D :D :D :L:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

Mark Bear wrote:Congrats to all of you that are about to find out if you drew a tag this year. I want to give my total recommendation to "Northern Wisconsin Outfitters".
I have spent the last to seasons in the NWO camp and can't say enough good things about the job that Robert and Mike do. Two years ago my 17 year old son drew a tag and we had a great father son hunt, he would have gotten a giant bear if he could have shot straight but was still a proud and successful bear hunter when all was said and done.
Last year my brother in law and I drew tags and knew immediately that NWO was who we were going to go with. We had a great time and both ended up successful in the end.
This year my brother and a friend just found out that they drew tags and will also be heading up to hunt with NWO and Robert and Mike.
If anyone has any question about our hunts I would be glad to share anything you want .

Congrats again to all who drew tags
Mark Baryenbruch

Good to see you here on the Beast Mark. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 am

Any Beasts hunting with Mike this year?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 am

dan wrote:Any Beasts hunting with Mike this year?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. We are 3/4 booked.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 am

I hunted in Mikes camp twice... Top notch.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 am

Mike, currently, what percentage of your/NWO bait sites are located on public land? Versus private land?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 am

john1984 wrote:Mike, currently, what percentage of your/NWO bait sites are located on public land? Versus private land?

Up until 4 years ago 75% of our baits were on public land, now we have roughly about 40%. About 70% of our bigger bears were shot on either DNR land or Public. Four years ago we acquired 3000 scattered privately owned acres to hunt on but we will always maintain our public spots as they are awesome 100% kill stands.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am

Mike Foss wrote:
john1984 wrote:Mike, currently, what percentage of your/NWO bait sites are located on public land? Versus private land?

Up until 4 years ago 75% of our baits were on public land, now we have roughly about 40%. About 70% of our bigger bears were shot on either DNR land or Public. Four years ago we acquired 3000 scattered privately owned acres to hunt on but we will always maintain our public spots as they are awesome 100% kill stands.

Mike, I was wondering, do you/NWO, currently seek out more private land because your allowed to leave tree stands up overnight? Unlike WI public land which forces you to take down your stand every night....?

The WI public land rules for tree stands seems like it's a substantial disadvantage for public land bear hunters compared to hunting on private. Do you agree??
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am

john1984 wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Mike, I was wondering, do you/NWO, currently seek out more private land because your allowed to leave tree stands up overnight? Unlike WI public land which forces you to take down your stand every night....?

The WI public land rules for tree stands seems like it's a substantial disadvantage for public land bear hunters compared to hunting on private. Do you agree??

Disagree with this. Every time I've left a stand hung it's been a focal point of attention. I've had better luck hanging and hunting. Plus I'd rather have multiple trees to pick from so I could adjust for the wind any given day. I've also had baits go cold of a big bear simply by hanging a tree stand in July.

These were hard lessons learned.

Mike may have a different opinion. Just my experiences.

If anything, I would consider the survival instinct of bears to be more refined on pressured public vs. private. Really not much different than whitetails in that regard. They don't get old by being stupid.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
john1984 wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Disagree with this. Every time I've left a stand hung it's been a focal point of attention. I've had better luck hanging and hunting. Plus I'd rather have multiple trees to pick from so I could adjust for the wind any given day. I've also had baits go cold of a big bear simply by hanging a tree stand in July.

These were hard lessons learned.

Mike may have a different opinion. Just my experiences.

If anything, I would consider the survival instinct of bears to be more refined on pressured public vs. private. Really not much different than whitetails in that regard. They don't get old by being stupid.

Hmmmm......, are you sure about that bass. On private land you can trim shooting lanes all you want. On private, you can enter and EXIT your stand very quietly and quickly, ,,, not so on public.

I don't how how you WI public land tree stand hunters do it. Even when I owned an Alpha I still found myself hunting for trees on the public.

You can't trim, you can't leave stands up,,,, plus I thought Mike said one time that bears really seem too notice tree stands sticks as abnormal. But,... I suppose maybe guys like Dan or bass have the ability to exit their stands and take them down, pack them up, leave, without those smart bears hearing them , or noticing them whatsoever.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm sure about it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”