The Ghost bear is back!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

The Ghost bear is back!

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 am

Mike Foss wanted me to post this video. This is the original bait I hunted last year but the big bear never made an appearance. Hope a lucky hunter takes him this year.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpcwyrLhqrA&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]

Blackhorn

Re: The Ghost bear is back!

Unread postby Blackhorn » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

What a stud. I've got a bear I call ghost as well, I assume for the same reasons.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:58 am

Mike was last year the first time you got this bear on cam?

Do you still think he goes 500 lbs?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Dewey wrote:Mike was last year the first time you got this bear on cam?

Do you still think he goes 500 lbs?

No, this is the 3rd year captured on camera, he only shows up in the first week in August and stays until October, do not know where he dens. They are logging to the North (200 acres) about 3/4 of a mile away and its congregating more bears to this area, I have about 7 different bears hitting this bait station now, two other bears are over 300lbs. By September Ghost will be well over 500lbs. He has competition on this bait and he knows it, he enters every time on our entrance & exit trail and leaves on a trail I created in the high grass with the weed eater prior to baiting. If I can keep him in the area that would be great, like last year I am sure as he gets comfortable he will show up just before dark during shooting hours. Now if I can get the guy that will be hunting Ghost to not pull the trigger on one of those other big bears.

Dewey, the hunter will be sitting in that sportsmen's condo.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Sounds exciting Mike. Hope the hunter gets him in the bait during daylight.

Are you still going to do some trickery and have the hunter sneak out the other way to the road after the hunt?

Hopefully he gets him the first day and it won't matter. :pray:

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Dewey wrote:Sounds exciting Mike. Hope the hunter gets him in the bait during daylight.

Are you still going to do some trickery and have the hunter sneak out the other way to the road after the hunt?

Hopefully he gets him the first day and it won't matter. :pray:

Yes, The hunter is coming up on Tuesday to check things out, I will show him the stand, place a chair in there, explain and show him his exit (mark it) trail out to the highway after hunting hours are over. If he gets that bear it will be within the first two days otherwise his odds will drop drastically. If Ghost has any clue there is late human activity at the bait station he will vanish or turn him into only nocturnal visits. He is a cool bear, if you look closely at the video he is full of scars and have you noticed or haven't noticed where is his testicles :shock:
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:39 am

That is a big bear! Good luck to the hunter that gets to go after him. Thanks for sharing.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:59 am

8-)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:12 am

Just got done reviewing my pics and video from hunting this bait last season. It appears I made a mistake and possibly passed on a bear much larger than I thought he was. It very well may be the Ghost.

Here are some stills I took from my videos. The first two are pics I posted in my original hunt thread of a bear that was estimated at 200-250 lbs. That one stayed in the bait for a long time and I have a bunch of footage. I decided to pass and then he exited to the right of the bait.

Shortly after a bear appeared from my entry trail at backside of the bait exactly like the video at the top of this thread. It happened very fast and I assumed it was the last bear that just circled around. It walked at a pretty fast pace right thru the bait and circled around my right side with no clear shot. Honestly I didn't think it was a different bear till looking at these pics and discussing it with Mike this morning. It's obvious I made a mistake on a huge bear. If you compare the body mass to the size of the bait station it's very obvious to me now. :doh:

These three pics are the second bear.

Is it the Ghost? Guess I will never know for sure. If it was he lived up to his name and appeared and then was suddenly gone.

These pics are all zoomed in for detail. In all fairness I would have not felt comfortable taking a shot at a fairly fast moving bear at what was a 26 yard shot. If he had stopped in the bait I would have had more time to study and place a good shot but that didn't happen.

It's unfortunate it took me almost a year to discover this but after viewing Mike's video from a few day's ago it got me thinking. Figured I would post this as a good reminder to those hunting this season to pay close attention. Judging the size of bears is without a doubt the hardest thing I have found hunting big game. After two hunts and killing two bear I still struggle with this. My best advice is place a log with a known length along the bait for comparison so you know without a doubt it's a shooter.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:32 am

Yeah my buds that baited in Idaho always cut a 6' long pole and placed it at the bait. They usually also placed it 3' above the ground. That gave them 2 ways to judge the bears. By length and by height!!!

Couple great looking bears Mike!!!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:59 am

[bbvideo 425,350][https://youtu.be/pIYoY3rXbEM/bbvideo]
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:58 pm

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/pIYoY3rXbEM[/bbvideo]

I think this is one of the best videos I have for this year. This is at the same bait station where Dewey hunted. This little bear is a great decoy for hunters. Always pay close attention to the little bears or a bear you don't plan on shooting, they will always let you know somethings coming as this one does. In a hunting situation as this, the big bear is preoccupied, his attention is focused on the little intruder giving a hunter a great opportunity for a shot.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Cool video Mike! That big one just waddled right in and the small guy skedaddled :lol:
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Wow this gets me pumped. Mike what time of day do you usually put ur hunters on stand. Is it usually only the last few hrs or more like 7 8 hours

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:22 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Wow this gets me pumped. Mike what time of day do you usually put ur hunters on stand. Is it usually only the last few hrs or more like 7 8 hours

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Some will sit all day.....but everyone will be in there stands by 2:00pm. Its amazing with this hot weather, it has not slowed down the daytime visits.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”