Another bear bait headache?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Another bear bait headache?

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:31 am

I have 2 bait sites about 3/4 of a mile apart. I was going to start baiting next week. I found out last night I've got another bear hunter in between them who just started baiting. Any ideas for pulling bears away from his onto mine?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Another bear bait headache?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm

If your sites are where the bear wants to be, it doesnt matter. I wouldnt worry about it unless he is where you need to be. If your cameras indicate that your baits are getting hit shortly after baiting you have no issue. Just another hunter in the area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

3/4 of a mile is nothing for a bear to travel. Keep your baits fresh and sweet and the bear will continue to hit. I've hunted area with 6 to 8 baits within a 2 mile radius and I have always been able to draw or keep bear in. Sticky granola, pastry if you can get it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:51 pm

If you are in C, stay strong with the trail mix (nuts). You'll need it once the acorns start dropping.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 pm

I woulddn't keep two baits that close together. You may be competing against yourself. Take the better sight, close to water, and as thick as can be and you should not have a problem if the other bear hunter just set up in an open hardwoods or something like most do.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”