Followed by ablack bear, what would you do?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Re: Followed by ablack bear, what would you do?

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I cant remember the guy's name , but there was a documentary about a guy that was alone who lived with grizzly bears. He made videos with him close to the Bears. He ended up getting eaten. The guy was a whacko. They said the native Americans wouldn't mess with bears and they went out of their way to give them their space

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Timothy Treadwell

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

That documentary is pretty good by werner herzog i just watched it in free movies on demand with charter cable

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SmallJawNH

Unread postby SmallJawNH » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:41 pm

http://www.benkilham.com/Benkilham.com/Understanding_Bear_Behavior.html

The above link is an interesting read if you want to understand the behaviors bears exhibit in those videos. The author Ben Kilham does an extensive amount of work with NH Fish and Game. I tagged along on a bear den survey with NH F&G and Ben while I was in college and came to appreciate that experience more much later in life.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:30 pm

SmallJawNH wrote:http://www.benkilham.com/Benkilham.com/Understanding_Bear_Behavior.html

The above link is an interesting read if you want to understand the behaviors bears exhibit in those videos. The author Ben Kilham does an extensive amount of work with NH Fish and Game. I tagged along on a bear den survey with NH F&G and Ben while I was in college and came to appreciate that experience more much later in life.

Interesting read. The only thing I've ever learned was to hold my ground. And if all else fails run like a mad man.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Between the fools out here on WMA's, boar hogs and black bears are the reasons I bought a Springfield XD in .45 with a 13 + 1 capacity if I can't get it done in 2 mags you earned it.
We're actually going on a bear hunt in the Blue Ridge Mountains this October, first time I'll ever be bow hunting a black bear. For some reason bears don't worry me, I'd much rather come face to face with a black bear than a wild boar!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:29 am

About a decade ago on a hiking trip we had a guide for the first 2 days of a 10 day trek. The guy was crazy. We had a black bear do about the same thing, and he grabbed an ax handle and started running after it screaming at the top of his lungs. I couldn't believe it, but it worked. The bear tucked his tail and ran full speed out of our camp.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 am

That's crazy. I know if I had no weapons on me and that bear was on top of me, I would shove my hand down its throat. I read they have very bad gag reflex.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:03 pm

I know someone that takes her kids to a black bear petting zoo. I kind of gave her some thoughts about it. Not worth the risk.

If you're going to pack a pistol while bow hunting for bear I think I'd go with at least .44 Mag.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”