Michigan Black Bear Hunt.

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Re: Michigan Black Bear Hunt.

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:15 am

dan wrote:When do we need to apply for points again?

Are you thinking about bear hunting here in Michigan Dan?

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 am

For those of you that have hunted bear in Michigan, what hunt did you get drawn for. The 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? From everything I have read, the first hunt really seems to be the best to get drawn for.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:56 am

Mibowfreak wrote:

Yes... Been applying the last couple years for points.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am

Hawthorne wrote:

May1- June 1

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thank you.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:07 pm

dan wrote:
Mibowfreak wrote:

Yes... Been applying the last couple years for points.

Me to Dan.....I have a connection right across the Wisconsin border into MI.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Mibowfreak wrote:For those of you that have hunted bear in Michigan, what hunt did you get drawn for. The 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? From everything I have read, the first hunt really seems to be the best to get drawn for.

I've never hunted bear just starting to get points. I heard the first season is best also. They can't run dogs that season I think is the reason

[ Post made via Android ] Image
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:45 pm

I am no expert but I prefer first season. No hounds to deal with for a week and for me they seem to come to baits the best early. Also if you draw a "first season" tag you can hunt all 3 "seasons". The down side to that is it takes more points to draw a first season tag then it dose for 2nd or 3rd. When you apply for tags you have two choices for hunts. You can apply for, as an example, first season Carney area as your first choice and your second can be third season Red Oak area or what ever combo you want. You can also chose to just buy a point. I normally apply for first season Carney area and my second choice is buy a point. Its relatively cheap at like 4 dollars (I think). To me for that money I'd pile up points and if somebody decided to do a bear hunt in a few years your all set.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:36 am

U.P. bownut wrote:I am no expert but I prefer first season. No hounds to deal with for a week and for me they seem to come to baits the best early. Also if you draw a "first season" tag you can hunt all 3 "seasons". The down side to that is it takes more points to draw a first season tag then it dose for 2nd or 3rd. When you apply for tags you have two choices for hunts. You can apply for, as an example, first season Carney area as your first choice and your second can be third season Red Oak area or what ever combo you want. You can also chose to just buy a point. I normally apply for first season Carney area and my second choice is buy a point. Its relatively cheap at like 4 dollars (I think). To me for that money I'd pile up points and if somebody decided to do a bear hunt in a few years your all set.

Thank you. Some great points there. I am really leaning on the first hunt. I just need to figure out what unit to go for. I have 8 points built up, so I can be pretty picky on the area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

U.P. bownut wrote:I am no expert but I prefer first season. No hounds to deal with for a week and for me they seem to come to baits the best early. Also if you draw a "first season" tag you can hunt all 3 "seasons". The down side to that is it takes more points to draw a first season tag then it dose for 2nd or 3rd. When you apply for tags you have two choices for hunts. You can apply for, as an example, first season Carney area as your first choice and your second can be third season Red Oak area or what ever combo you want. You can also chose to just buy a point. I normally apply for first season Carney area and my second choice is buy a point. Its relatively cheap at like 4 dollars (I think). To me for that money I'd pile up points and if somebody decided to do a bear hunt in a few years your all set.

No such thing as Red Oak third season. Red Oak is one week. Bait sitters get opening day, hound hunters can start on the 2nd day. Hound hunters get the last two days to themselves.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 am

I have a good friend that has been a bear guide in the U.P. for decades, a Michigan Conservation Officer uses him as a guide for a reason. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask I would be glad to help. I don't speak with him every day, but I can certainly get an answer for you.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I have a good friend that has been a bear guide in the U.P. for decades, a Michigan Conservation Officer uses him as a guide for a reason. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask I would be glad to help. I don't speak with him every day, but I can certainly get an answer for you.

Good to know. Thanks Bridge.

Do you know what unit he guides in?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Mibowfreak wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:I have a good friend that has been a bear guide in the U.P. for decades, a Michigan Conservation Officer uses him as a guide for a reason. If anyone has any questions they would like me to ask I would be glad to help. I don't speak with him every day, but I can certainly get an answer for you.

Baraga
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Mibowfreak wrote:

Baraga

Really??!! That is the unit in the U.P. that I have had my eye on.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”