Take notes

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Take notes

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 am

Our group of guys In our bear camp Is usually 4 to 5 guys so we run right around 10 to 12 baits each bear season. We'd run more but each year It seems the area we've been hunting the last 30+ years gets more logging done to It and some of those times It's a spot where we've baited for years.

From day one of the opener for bear baiting to the very last day we bear hunt In Minnesota we write down each bait (we name our baits) and we write exactly what we found for sign and exactly what we used for bait at this particular bait site. The next time In checking this bait we'll write down exactly what the bear ate and the direction their coming from.

We've got notes from our baits dating 25 years back. It's fun to look back on bets we've made and things that have happened that we wouldn't be able to remember. You can also see In the notes where our hotter baits have been compared to other baits. Taking notes Is never a bad thing and a great tool for a bear hunter to use. Also we'll write down In our bait book the exact wind we need to hunt these baits as you can see my dad doing In the picture below with his compass.
Dad taking notes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Take notes

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 am

Keeping a journal with all that information is priceless.

I started a journal when I was 12 years old thru about highschool detailing every hunt and most fishing trips. Sadly stopped on the journal entries until about five years ago.

Folks found my old hunting journal about 5 years ago, that's what rekindled the desire to keep notes again, when they moved from my childhood home and gave it back to me. My old man read it and said it really brought back some old memories and good hunts. He was right.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:51 am

Good stuff Steve...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Never hurts to journal. Whether it be about hunts or personal life. Looking back can bring some fond memories.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”