When can we apply for MN bear license draw?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Re: When can we apply for MN bear license draw?

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:39 pm

My mother in law worked with Koren and has nothing but good things to say about her and as far as I knowe she went out to as many bear dens and collared bears every spring and spent as much time in the field as she possibly could

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:58 am

Not ripping on you Jim at all but I hope the new person in charge figures something out with the huge amount of bear guides here in Minnesota. At least in the area I hunt they are way over run. I'm so sick of dealing with this crap. In some other states only a certain amount of guides are allowed per unit or area.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 pm

This is America. Free enterprise. It's public land. Don't know about the guides by you but I pay a lot of money to guide on public land.

I was told over on the Chip certain guides were being assigned certain areas they could only guide in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, as it doesn't bother me. But, I could say I'm tired of all the non resident and southern MN hunters coming up and hunting where I hunt.

Trust me I see where your coming from.

hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:49 am

I agree about the nonresident hunters. It’s complete BS they have the same odds as residents for tags. It should be like every other state that allocates tags for a limited resource. Nonresidents should be limited to 10% of the total quota. It’s not just western states that cap nonresidents. Look at how Iowa allocates deer tags.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 am

I think non residents probably make up the bulk of the hunters. If they don't it's close.

hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 am

I would agree, that's why it's a bunch of chit us residents have to compete for tags with the same odds as nonresidents.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:55 pm

I said don't take this the wrong way because I wasn't referring to you. I'm referring to the want a be guides. I don't paint with a broad brush. I'd expect the same with me. This southerner from central Minnesota has put more miles on baiting and hunting bears then allot of people who live in northern Minnesota ever will. This bear hunting thing in Minnesota is getting way to commercialized with idiots. AGAIN I'm not referring to you Jim. I'll be god damned if I'm going to sit around and not stand up for myself and our small hunting party.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Check your pm Schultzy.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 am

hearteater wrote:I would agree, that's why it's a bunch of chit us residents have to compete for tags with the same odds as nonresidents.

Nonresidents......Don't forget the amount of money nonresidents bring to the table and support your local businesses and your communities. The way the bear hunt (amount of tags) is structured even if 10% of nonresidents were allotted tags each year you would still be in competition with residents, the amount of time it would take to get a tag would not change.
hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Sat May 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Not true at all. Most residents bring the same amount of money to the local communities as nonresidents because they are still having to travel hours to hunt. Also the tag price for nonresidents is a joke they should raise the resident price to 230 and non resident to 600 like iowa deer. They would make more money and it would be a win win. As a resident I would pay 10 times what we are charged currently to hunt every year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 14, 2016 11:33 pm

hearteater wrote:Not true at all. Most residents bring the same amount of money to the local communities as nonresidents because they are still having to travel hours to hunt. Also the tag price for nonresidents is a joke they should raise the resident price to 230 and non resident to 600 like iowa deer. They would make more money and it would be a win win. As a resident I would pay 10 times what we are charged currently to hunt every year.

just like iowa? careful what you wish for. High prices devalue animals and bring in hunters for the WRONG reasons. In Iowa farmers can't afford to have there adult kids, there brothers, there friends, come hunt the family farm where they grew up. So a farmer with 4 kids who left the farm to better themselves in another state is looking at paying $2400 a year just in licenses to have a traditional family deer hunt opening weekend... Rediculas. High prices end family farm hunts, they end people hunting for food, cherishing the animal, and they bring in greedy hunters who will pay anything to kill something to brag about. How many of you take your kids to Iowa hunting with you? No? Why? cause you can't afford it....
People think Iowas high prices are a management tool. FALSE. Its a political tool by politicians who get votes by saying they won't raise taxes to residents instead they will charge more to non-residents who don't vote in that state. Very little of the money is being given back to managing the game, most goes to the Governors office.

And as far as non-residents spending money in MN that is absolutely true. You live there, your already spending money there. I take scouting trips, hunting trips, Camping trips, visit local business, etc. just cause I hunt there. Thats money that would be spent in Wisconsin if I did not hunt MN. I also see very few non-resident hunters. If they do go as far north as I do, they hire a guide.

We need to LOWER tag prices and bring back regular hunters. Not raise them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”