Bear hunting????

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Rav

Re: Bear hunting????

Unread postby The Rav » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Hmmmm.... This is all been interesting stuff as I've read it. Sounds hopeful yet intimdating in a way. Intimidating for the reason that it sounds like one of a lot of work. But, never the less, I'm on the mission to find out more. Can't wait to get up north to ask some of the locals I know a few questions.

chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Funny, Jeff has done all three of my public land bears that I have killed up in Minnesota. I have two rugs and a 3/4 mount and they all look absolutely phenominal. Congrats on that bear also. I hunt the same general area you killed that bear in, deer hunt that is, and I love knowing that there is animals of that caliber in the very same woods that I hunt. I actually had 7 pts last year for up there and didnt draw.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Ones tactics can greatly differ too depending on the hunting pressure In the area. The area I hunt Is absolutely terrible with hunting pressure and for that we've had to change our baiting practices from years past. It's one of the most frustrating things I've ever had to deal with but at the same time the area I hunt has some of the biggest bear I've ever saw In my life too so a guy's gotta keep trying new things to try and out smart these old bear and try and out bait/out smart the other bear hunters that are being pricks by baiting way to close to us.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Great thread guys! Last year we had a 400 lb. boar coming all summer around 6:30pm for a month straight like clockwork! He was basically the only bear we had pictured at that bait. So opening evening of bear season comes and my brother and I decide this is gonna be a piece of cake :lol: I was the camera man in one stand and my brother the hunter in another. We got set up super early in the afternoon. My brother dozed off a little but I was just too focused being the camera man! I didn't want to mess it up in case he showed early ! Well right about that time I heard one twig snap in the swamp from the general direction he had been pictured coming from all summer which was toward the truck. I instantly got ready with the camera as did my brother with the bow! NOTHING! :shock: We sat til dark without seeing a bear which was expected I guess since he was the only bear at that bait. Next morning the bait was hit we pulled the card from the camera and lo and behold he came at 8:18pm :evil: Shooting hours were about 7:37pm. The next night my brother went alone as I had to work and saw no bears! Friday night the third day of season my brother went alone to a different bait and ended up shooting a 182 lb. boar. We checked the camera of the big bear bait Sat morning and the big bear was there at 6:30pm just like clockwork :evil: Only thing that was different was there was no vehicle parked! I'm thinking that bear was laying between the bait and the highway where he could sent check and watch for cars parked. Not just cars parked but ones that don't leave and don't make noise and leave! They are an incredible animal and don't get to be 10-15 years old by being dumb! Bears are incredibly smart animals!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:47 am

Great post PLB - I've had similar experiences. One of the many things that stumps me about these bears is this...
The first 5 years or so that I hunted bear, dog food was my staple bait. I would mix deli grease with the dog food, add any extra goodies I could come across, and I was good to go - they loved it. I killed bear every year without much of a problem.
I took a several year hiatis and when I resumed baiting, I found that the last thing the bears wanted was the dog food. How can they just go crazy for it the first half of my bear hunting career and not care for it at all now?? This is one of the things that drive me crazy about bear hunting.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:15 am

AC Rider wrote:Great post PLB - I've had similar experiences. One of the many things that stumps me about these bears is this...
The first 5 years or so that I hunted bear, dog food was my staple bait. I would mix deli grease with the dog food, add any extra goodies I could come across, and I was good to go - they loved it. I killed bear every year without much of a problem.
I took a several year hiatus and when I resumed baiting, I found that the last thing the bears wanted was the dog food. How can they just go crazy for it the first half of my bear hunting career and not care for it at all now?? This is one of the things that drive me crazy about bear hunting.
Possibly more competition with other baits/bear hunters In close proximity of your baits? I know this Is something I'm loosing the battle In. Guys that are baiting close to our baits I believe are using better bait then we are. Last year I wanted to change up our choice of bait some but didn't have much luck In doing so. Finding goodies has been a real pain In the for me to find. There's so much competition for this stuff these days It's crazy.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Schultzy wrote:
AC Rider wrote:Great post PLB - I've had similar experiences. One of the many things that stumps me about these bears is this...
I took a several year hiatus and when I resumed baiting, I found that the last thing the bears wanted was the dog food. How can they just go crazy for it the first half of my bear hunting career and not care for it at all now?? This is one of the things that drive me crazy about bear hunting.
Possibly more competition with other baits/bear hunters In close proximity of your baits? I know this Is something I'm loosing the battle In. Guys that are baiting close to our baits I believe are using better bait then we are. Last year I wanted to change up our choice of bait some but didn't have much luck In doing so. Finding goodies has been a real pain In the for me to find. There's so much competition for this stuff these days It's crazy.

In this case one solution only!!!!
Beaver burger!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:28 am

That's funny Michel!!!!!!! You're fitting in quite well here!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

BUMP

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”