Just shot one.

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Just shot one.

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
dan wrote:They go bad fast in this weather... If it don't smell right I wouldn't want to eat it.

Thanks. I was apprehensive about that. That bear wasn't feeling good. He was pooping himself and digging holes to find water, and laying in that cesspool. His pelt was saturated in it. With the warm weather, delayed butchering and the stench, it was the most difficult field dress to date. I think I'm going to get myself a smaller bear next year if I can't partner up with someone. It will make a nice rug though. He was about 6'6 on the gambrel.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That's a slammer! Wish the recovery would have went better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:19 am

By the way, nicked one lung and liver too. 2/3 blades in each one. He passed at about 12 hours after the shot. Maybe I've got to rethink my broad heads. 2 out of three blades in each.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 am

http://steelforce.com/shop/ Like a good microbrew. Independent manufacturer. Tougher than nails. You send them in Jan-June for free resharpening.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Awesome bear

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Very nice, congrats!!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:30 pm

Congrats. Nice bear! :clap:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:19 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
dan wrote:They go bad fast in this weather... If it don't smell right I wouldn't want to eat it.

Thanks. I was apprehensive about that. That bear wasn't feeling good. He was pooping himself and digging holes to find water, and laying in that cesspool. His pelt was saturated in it. With the warm weather, delayed butchering and the stench, it was the most difficult field dress to date. I think I'm going to get myself a smaller bear next year if I can't partner up with someone. It will make a nice rug though. He was about 6'6 on the gambrel.

The cape should still be good if you got it in the freeze right away... You need to be prepared for big bears. The last one I shot I could not find a blood trail, and when I found him in the morning most of my group had left and it was me and Bighunt. We got it on a stretcher but it took a long time to get it out. We lost the meat on that one... You shoot him good and find him that night there should be no issues. They go real bad real fast, and if they die from toxic poisoning from a liver or gut hit the meat often is tainted even if you get to it right away.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:24 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:Only ever lost one bear and that was a front leg hit.
That is the primary argument for shooting middle. Less losses to leg and shoulder hits.

Yea, and more losses to gut and liver hits, and bears that take longer to die... The whole "shoot em in the middle" thing started when expendables got popular. I hit my bear in the leg cause I took a long shot at a moving and spooked bear. Had I shot for the middle I may have shot him in the guts. At least with a leg hit the bear recovers, and don't go off to die slow un-found. I shoot my bears at 15 to 20 yards at most. Easy shots, no need to back the shot up to the edge of the guts.

So you hit him too far forward on that hunt but you would have hit him too far back if you would have aimed middle of the middle. :think:

The middle of the middle is contraversial. That I'd why I put the article in the forum. Its good discussion. :mrgreen: My group has done well with it and haven't lost one to a legs, shoulders, string jumpers, etc.

Do whatever you feel good about... I personally would not feel good about a bear suffering for 1/2 a night so I can hang a rug on a wall. They die somewhere slowly with gut hits, they survive with a leg hit... If you aim in the middle a couple inches left and you have liver or guts, where I aim I can be 3 or 4 inches forward or back and still kill. At the distances I shoot bears at that is an easy shot and "for me" there is no reason to make the bear suffer, die slow, and have no recovery or the meat go bad...

Lets let this post be about his trophy, and if you want to talk about where to aim, use your other post.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:42 am

dan wrote:Lets let this post be about his trophy, and if you want to talk about where to aim, use your other post.

I agree! I was just following your initial comment.

Congrats again Dhurtubise! My apologies for being part of the chatter.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

Congrats Dhurtubise!
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am

That looks like a slob DH. You said you were going to get out there this year and make it happen on a big black bear... and you did.

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am

Sorry you lost the meat. I can tell you worked really hard to recover it. Congrats on the kill though. I'm sure you will be ready next time.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:11 am

Seems like a big bear. Big bear look weird in the face area like yours. Dhurtibise, there is nothing wrong with shooting a smaller bear neither. We only shoot our bears near the river. No need to go in more than 50 yes from the river. I know this one ran and hard to tell what way they will run too . I shot one about 100 yes from the river and he ran till he was 30 yds from the river and died. It was 224 lbs. and 30 yes was enough. Nice bear. If you pull on the hair and it doesn't pull out in bunches the hide is still good.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:40 pm

Nice bear. Congrats!

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. After a couple of days removed from the experience, I'm feeling better. Here are a few of the pictures post-recovery.

I never found out how much the bear weighed. I'm pretty sure he was over 250 lbs, probably more than 300 lbs. I never moved something that heavy before in the bush. He definitely dwarfed me while hanging - I'm 5'11, 170 lbs. The hide weighed 63 lbs if that's any indication, 6'6" on the gambrel when I had him hung up. He has no unusual markings (i.e.. on the chest) completely black. I'm definitely aiming further forward next time I shoot a bear. He was so close, perfectly broad side at only 10 yards distance, I could have shot him anywhere I wanted. Had he only went 50-100 yards, and died right away, the whole experience would have been very positive. There was a ton of meat on that bear.

Things I will do differently next time out for bear:

1. I'd like to find someone with experience who is willing to help out. I think I'm good now with the baiting aspect (locations, bait quality, timing and set-up) I learned a lot on this site, thanks to all who have contributed knowledge over the last year esp. shultzy, bassboys and of course Dan. I will need help with the aftermath of the kill - getting it out, processing etc.

2. I want to use better broadheads. I think the ones I used (Allen 125 grains) may not have done the trick. I know I cut into his one lung and the bottom of his liver. The arrow stayed in the boiler room, no guts. I'm especially bummed that it took this bear about 12 hours to die. Had the cuts been bigger, I think it would have succumbed within a couple of hours.

3. Although I managed a fatal shot by aiming in the middle of the middle, after this experience, I will be shooting for the crease, or at least 4 to 6 inches further to the front of where I aimed this time. I'm sure that the middle of the middle is usually a safe shot (sounds like it's recommended) but I really want to make sure I hit two lungs next time.

Happy bear hunting and good luck to everyone else who is partaking in the season this year. I'm looking forward to seeing other beasts succeed. I've been following Dan, Shultzy, bowhunter15 and Bassboys on their quests. Best of luck on filling your tags.

Daniel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”