Wolves on Bait

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hearteater

Wolves on Bait

Unread postby hearteater » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:18 am

Went up to check my baits on Saturday in northern MN. I was pleased to see they were destroyed, but disappointed on my best bait I saw some wolf scat. I got home and took a look at the trail cam photos and was pretty surprised to see a lot of different bears have been hitting the bait. However, I was even more surprised at the amount of wolf photos I have. It appears that there are 5 pups and at least 1 or 2 adults on the bait every day (while bears are there, when bears aren't there, etc.) It does not seem to be completely driving the bears off my bait however a couple photos clearly show the wolves running the bears off the bait (the bears return as soon as the wolves leave). When the biggest boar is on the site nothing messes with it. So, with all of this said, how comfortable would you be hunting this site? I am clearly near a den or rendezvous site so I am a little nervous about entering and exiting the stand. Let me know you thoughts. Thanks.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Wolves on Bait

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 am

I would hunt it for sure. A pistol might be in order if you're bow hunting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:42 am

I have wolves hitting most of my baits... They don't bother me at all.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:58 am

I call BS. Wolves are on the verge of extinction. The politicians and tree huggers said so. ;)

Good luck. Wish I could help. Just grinds my gears to hear about wolves.... You know, so majestic and endangered and all.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:59 am

I am more intimidated by wolves than bears...pack some security with you.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:40 am

Mike Foss wrote:I am more intimidated by wolves than bears...pack some security with you.

that's really surprising. I thought bear attacks outnumber wolf attacks by a long shot.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:02 am

You have a chance from a bear attack.
hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 am

Yeah, normally I wouldn't be too worried about it but the pictures show that they seem to be quite aggressive towards the bears. Snarling their teeth, putting a few of the bears up trees, urinating on the site. It's a bummer because it's my best site. I have about 10 different bears visiting it at all different times of day.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 am

Hunt it. Don't worry about it.

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:17 am

Hunt it. They're more afraid of you than you are of them... :-)

But seriously, watch what happens when you chamber a round. The pups might not know better, but I bet the adults do. And maybe stop baiting with kibble?

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:48 am

Where I hunt I've noticed if they hit my scent they tuck tail and get out of there. But I'd definitely carry some form of heat.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm thinking all the grease I poured on the site is attracting them. It's pretty odd they seem to hang out there all day I hope they don't completely push the bears off the bait.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:15 am

How many different adults have you spotted? A big bear can probably hold its own. Will be interesting to see which animal is more tolerant of your presence/scent in the area... Which one returns first after freshening the bait, or more often in-season. Your repeated presence might have them relocating in short order. Wolf movement also SEEMS cyclical. They spend a majority of time one spot during the summer, and relocate/turn a little nomadic once the fall pressure ramps up. Whether they are just following the food or it's part of a year-to-year cycle based on other conditions is beyond me. As the winter ramps up I see them move into deep pine cover... But this is also later season after gun, so the deer could also be holed up deeper. Sometimes not though. When the weather is harsh the deer tend to linger around the cabins and their supply of corn.

All part of the puzzle, but it wouldn't stop me from hunting the spot. I had 3 wolves inside 20 yards last year, and I was on the ground. Handgun was 20 yards the other way... I walked backwards toward my pack with my gun, they didn't acknowledge me until I chambered a round. Then they turned tail and trotted back from the direction they came.

It's a lot spookier when you hear them barking/howling real close and never see them... At least when it comes to the walk out in the dark. And packing your stand. And heaven help you if you have a strap dragging on the walk out...

hearteater

Unread postby hearteater » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 am

There have been 6 pups and 3 adults on the site. The pups and one adult spend time there during the day. The three adults usually come back alone at dusk/during the night to chase the bears off the bait. Hopefully my presence causes the wolves to relocate and not the bears ;)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:58 am

My BnL and his dad came upon a pack of yotes that found his deer before he did. Said those yotes were not scared of them, their yelling, or their flash lights. Lol said they showed teeth, hunched backs, and started circling them while snarling. He feels lucky to have gotten out of there unharmed. Now your talking a wolf which is much bigger. Id like to think id man up and punt a yote if it attacked me, but a wolf? Personally, id be bothered by them being in the area.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”