When the Hounds run first

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

When the Hounds run first

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 am

I want to share my most recent published story with you all:

By Mike Foss

Expert bait guide maintains success rate when hounds hunt first

As I slowly reached the next baiting destination and turned off the sputtering motor of my ATV, the familiar baying of distant hounds in training fell over the silence of the still, muggy August morning.
In Wisconsin, bear hunters sitting over bait and hunters chasing bears with hounds annually alternate the privilege of being the first group to start the season. In 2015, hounds hold that advantage, beginning the bear season on Wednesday September 9, with baiters poised to join the game on September 16.
Every year before the bear season, the topic becomes a hot debate. Some bait sitters are concerned that noisy hounds pushing bears over miles of country will diminish their own chances for bringing bears to a quiet bait station … and their own chances to fill a tag.
I read the posted and often negative comments in bear hunting forums raising the concern of the bait hunters that are often novices to the sport. I listen to the concern from my own clients. It’s understandable. After sometimes waiting eight years for a harvest tag, a bait hunter does not want a chance to fill it ruined by an intruding dog pack. After spending my life watching and hunting bears, viewing thousands of trail cam photos and videos, and sending an overwhelming number of our hunters home with the tag filled, dogs or no dogs, don’t forget to pack your optimism.
Start with these statistics. Northern Wisconsin Outfitters success rates do not change regardless of whether hound hunters or bait hunters begin the season. Our hunters achieve near 100 percent shot opportunity and more than a 95 percent kill success rate. Much more crucial to filling that tag is the consistency of your baiting in the preseason, the placement of your stand in regard to wind direction and detection from the ground, and the number of hours the hunter is willing to wait on stand for the arrival of his bear.
If the bears learn to habitually come to the bait, they will. If the bear smells or sees the hunter, he won’t come in. And if the hunter leaves early, none of it will matter anyway. Hounds have immediate impact on a bait station but little long-term effect on a bear’s routine. If chased but not harvested, the bear will be back soon, often within the same day.
When we lead our hunters to their stand, they know the station had been baited since snow melt and that the stand is set for the highest probability of a kill. Even when the hounds hunt first, we know that if the hunter toughs out his vigil on stand, he is probably going to have an opportunity to shoot. Whether he chooses to shoot or ultimately makes the killing shot, that is out of our hands.
During a recent hunt, one of our clients sat in anger and disbelief watching two bellowing bear hounds ramble through his secluded bait station. He seriously considered abandoning the hunt until he recalled what I had told our entire group of hunters the night before: there was a possibility of bear dogs interrupting the hunt. The message? Stay put.
Thirty minutes later the hunter stood over his very large bear. “What a great hunt,” he thought.
As I stand near the ATV, bait pail in hand, memories of hunting with dogs decades before fall over me with the growing sound of the distant hounds. My heart pounds not in anger that the dogs will invade this bait station set on private property—they know no boundaries—but with excitement that I may glimpse the bear they are chasing.
The pack moves through and one dog breaks away, nose to the ground. The hound is just yards away before she notices me, comes to a stop and briefly contemplates this man from nowhere. Then she is gone again, hurrying to rejoin the chase with the others gaining distance into the Bayfield County morning.
If you are a hunter expecting that long-awaited Wisconsin bear tag in the near future and are weighing whether you should risk your hunt when dogs run first, there really is no difference. And if the hounds do come when you are on stand, listen to the moving miracles in the distance. If your worlds collide, take in and enjoy every second of the show. But when they fade away again, a word of advice….
I hope you’re ready.
Connect with Northern Wisconsin Outfitters at northernwisconsinoutfitters.com or call Robert Hass and Mike Foss at 715.373.0344 or 715-373-0127

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: When the Hounds run first

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:32 am

I honestly would've guessed the complete opposite of which you said with the hounds having no ill effects on your bear hunting. I figured they would screw ones hunting up some. I'm not one to assume or state stuff without facts so I've for the most part never really commented on stuff like this before. Great write up Mike! I learned something today.
ihookem
500 Club

Re: When the Hounds run first

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:18 am

I had 3 tags in WIs. so far and all 3 were second season. In 1995 I had a bear shot very close to my bait the week before baiters started. I know there were other bear in the area but this didn't help. I'm sure it was a good size bear too cause hound hunters are more selective on harvest. I only saw one bear after 5 days of hunting so I took and 80 lb bear on Sept 23. ( gutted) The second time was 1999. I had no issues with hounders. It was on the second day, the first day I didn't see a bear and was surprised. It was 224 Lbs gutted. The third times was 2005 and had problems with hound hunters . Some hunters let some hounds go with permission on private land. Problem was the land owners only had 70 ac. The hounds went on my land and treed a coon!. I didn't see a bear those 3 days. I blamed the hounds. Maybe it wasn't the hounds, most likely it was the warm weather.. I saw a small bear the next weekend though but was not after another bear I could carry out. In 2012 my son got a tag and we went 1st season. We saw a bruiser come in just before closing , knocked the logs off the bait and went into some brush. It came back on the minute of closing , We waited 45 minutes for it to leave. My 15 yr old son was not up to a shot at a bear laying down in that dim of light so we passed. The next day we saw a nice bear that didn't come in. The next day, 3 yrs ago this evening another bear came in and he got it. 206 gutted. After my long winded post I am saying I think baiters would do better first season. Several reasons. (1) Dogs dont help any, even if the dont hurt. Many bears made it to the end of the season though from angry baiters that gave up and quit for the season that would have got something if they'd stuck it out and enjoyed the hunt. (2) , I am convinced bear slow down at least a little by the second week. ( 3) , There simply is most likely one less bear in the area and I believe but could be wrong that big bears stay more active than little bears and sows with cubs. I only see big bear prints in snow and if we get a bear on the trail cam later in September it is usually a big bear. By the time it snows I never see a small track in the snow. (4),, I think this is critical, later in the season leaves are mostly gone. On Sept 7, 3 yrs ago the leaves were falling like crazy. The woods is not as dark by mid September and most baiters trail cam pics I see are in areas that just are not thick enough for a nice bear to show up when the leaves are off. I see a lot of bear stands right on hardwood hilltops. Way too bright later in the season till after dark. I am sure a late season gives you a bigger bear on average and a nicer hide. SO , if you are looking for more bears to see , then go bait first. If you want a big bear, with a nicer hide and cooler temps to keep bear meat from spoiling go second season, even to the end. I have had nice bear come in on the last few days and they are nicer bear. Sorry for the long post. , but these are many yrs of observations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”