Were on'em

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Were on'em

Unread postby Bearman13 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:40 pm

I got out 37 baits between Friday and Saturday night. All were hit but 3. Two were tampered with by DIY hunters. Same group. The other bait historically starts off slow. We also were back baited in couple spots by a Wisconsin group. Lost a few bait sites to other hunters but that's the public land game.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Were on'em

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 am

Makes me wonder how much I'm hurting myself by only having one bait a piece for my buddy and I.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Makes me wonder how much I'm hurting myself by only having one bait a piece for my buddy and I.

If there new baits in spots you have not hunted before its a big gamble... Every time I bait a new area I have a dud or two that don't produce. If it were me, I would have at least 3 baits going.... Even if your bait gets a bear or two on it, there is a good chance you spook it and it goes bad and you don't have a back up...

Guys like Jim and Mike have been guiding those spots for years and bait the same spots every year and the bears know those spots...

If you have multiple baits you can shop around for the right wind, you can also let one cool off after spooking a bear or after hunting it while you hunt another. Anybody who has hunted bear for a long time will tell you the best hunt on a bait is the 1st one of the season. It gets harder to kill a bear on a bait after every sit. More baits, is more 1st sits, and longer cool offs, and helps to keep from tempting you to hunt on a bad wind.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Ran baits today. Again 3 not hit. Different baits this time. One is new. And the other two who knows. I'm up to 40 baits. I'll weed down from there. Lots of competition out there and illegal stuff. Cams are going out this week.

Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:27 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Makes me wonder how much I'm hurting myself by only having one bait a piece for my buddy and I.

I wouldn't get to worried.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Jim Wallner wrote:

If we go out next weekend and one of the baits isn't hit, would that be a good opportunity to establish a 3rd site for a different wind with the bait we'd planned on using for refilling?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:45 pm

Tough call. What natural food look like there this year?

Also keep in mind. I have a couple established baits that historically take a week or better to get hit. New sites you really want to get the smell blowing through the bush.

If weather conditions I like a honey burn. I've had excellent luck opening new sites doing a burn.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:19 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
Jim Wallner wrote:

If we go out next weekend and one of the baits isn't hit, would that be a good opportunity to establish a 3rd site for a different wind with the bait we'd planned on using for refilling?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I want to mention that running cameras on all my baits I have noticed a trend that the 1st time bears hit my baits is usually daylight... Kind of odd, cause its the opisate of what you would expect, but the cameras don't lie. My point is, if your not hit opening day you still have a chance.

I hunted with forum member ACryder the 1st time I ever hunted MN and on the last day of the hunt I sat on a bait that had NO activity and shot a bear an hour before dark that came in from down wind.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:57 am

Honestly your really decreasing your chances with just running one bait per person. If able run the max (3 baits per person).
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:04 am

Jim, how many hunters you got this year?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”