Bowhunter15 Bear Log 2015

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Bowhunter15 Bear Log 2015

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Here's another pic of that bigger boar. He was at my bait too a couple times at night. Not as much as the other bait though, and it took him a few days longer to find it. I'm not an expert on judging bear size, but I'd say he's pretty big. When he lays on the bait he pretty much covers it up.

On another note, all of the bear pictures at my bait are nocturnal. Seems like 10-11pm and 2-3am are the hot times. Not sure if I should stick with it tomorrow or try one of the other sites that's been cleaned out. The remainder of my bait is on that pile though. So if I hunted elsewhere it would just be scents. I think Matt might have a shot at that big boar. He found his site the next morning and afternoon after baiting last week.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am

Anyone living in MN knows that it stormed pretty hard last night. It poured buckets most of the early morning with lots of lightning. One bolt was so close I needed to poke my head outside my tent and make sure a burning tree wasn't going to fall on us lol. It's supposed to be dry most of the day with a chance for rain again in the afternoon.

Fortunately, the rain washed away our scent from yesterday. Unfortunately, it probably also washed out much of our bait scent and made stuff soggy. I'm headed in there today to pull my stand and trail camera. There are two other baits I can sit, but they are both big guesses because they haven't had cams. But I know for a fact that the stand I've been at hasn't had any daylight hits in the past two weeks. I'm also bringing my pail in. Gonna try to scoop up and salvage some of the trail mix to place at whatever bait I choose, seeing as theyre all empty currently.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:25 am

Good luck... I would take my chances on one of the camera-less baits too... Go to the store and by a few loafs of bread and some syrup if your out of bait. Use the same scent you have been using.. My bears often are seen swinging around down wind of the bait to scent check to see if its rebaited. Scent alone "might" work, but they also use there eyes to see if there is bait.

I have a never give up, it can happen at anytime attitude, and that has gotten me bears on at least two different situations. One was my biggest bear, a 500 pound brute that wandererd into my bait after it had not been hit in 2 weeks and a group of hunters set up a campsite close by in the woods. The other was on a bait in Minnesota, my 1st MN bear, shot on the last day of that hunt off a bait that too had not been hit in 2 weeks...

On camera I have noticed that 90% of the bears that hit my baits hit the 1st time in daylight... Just giving it your best shot is going to help up your odds. At anytime a bear could come in. They can smell your bait scent from 10 miles or more.

As far as the nocturnal hits are concerned, when baits are set up near thick cool wet swamps and points where bears want to hang, they come in more during daylight. If you have ever watched bear nature shows, you will see that when a bear finds a food source in nature, it likes to bed close by and guard it... My baits are set up to give the bear that advantage... THEN THEY COME IN DURING DAYLIGHT A LOT MORE.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:52 am

Got up to let the dog out at 3am and it was thundering. Looked at the radar and saw it was covered up your way. I'm no bear hunter as you know, but my first instinct would have been to rebait them all after first light then sit the hottest/best stand for the wind. After seeing the radar, I doubt very seriously many bears got a full belly up there last night.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:15 am

Justin85 wrote:Got up to let the dog out at 3am and it was thundering. Looked at the radar and saw it was covered up your way. I'm no bear hunter as you know, but my first instinct would have been to rebait them all after first light then sit the hottest/best stand for the wind. After seeing the radar, I doubt very seriously many bears got a full belly up there last night.

Yup, neither one had been touched. We went out around 11. Matt boiled a fresh batch of bear crack to pour on his Bait And I moved my stand to one of the other stations. I was able to salvage most of what I'd dumped yesterday, plus 3 loaves of bread, maple syrup and scent. We both feel pretty decent.

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:09 am

Good looking bear.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Well the lightning started at 7:00. Had to climb down early. It's been a heavy downpour for the last half hour and lightning about once per second. Seriously frustrating being at the mercy of the weather. Assuming it's not raining tomorrow morning, we'll head out at first light for a couple hours.

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Dang that weather sounds rough. These bear threads are always interesting. Good luck guys!

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Good luck man, hope the weather clears up for you.

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:19 am

I think the foul weather system is moved out. Today is cooler, bluebird skies and a switch in wind direction. After sitting an hour this morning I moved the stand to the other side of the bait. Neither of our baits have been touched yet, but maybe the weather switch is just what we need. Wish we had a couple more days to hunt. Tonights the last night up here.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:23 am

Good luck. I hope you get a crack at one tonight.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:50 am

Man that weather was nice last night. Cooled off and got dead calm for the last 45 minutes. If it was going to happen, last night would have been the night. Nothing seen or heard. Neither of our baits had shown signs of being hit at night while we were gone either. The baits were a little soggy from all of the storms, but the bees and flies had no issues finding them. We made a list of lessons learned from the trip:

1) Find bait sites closer to home so we don't have to put all eggs into one basket in terms of weather, getting home at 2am after tracking and dragging a bear, etc.
2) Make sites closer to road. This isn't so much because we're being lazy, but the fact that our closest bait to the road was hit in daylight multiple times means that bear comfort level trumps difficulty in getting to the spot. So we'll focus more on good areas close to the road, which will save a lot of time making circuits during the week to bait.
3) Use more bait/bait more frequently. The fact that all four of our baits were empty upon arrival this weekend meant that the 10 gallons once/week wasn't sufficient. If we hunt closer to home we can bait more during the week.
4) Use trail cams at ALL baits. We had trail cams on 2 of 4. When the other two were hit, we didn't know if they were nocturnal hits or not. Also, we saw the same bears at 2 of our trail cams. Having more trail cams set would better allow us to track the bears' circuit and approximate where they're bedding.
5) Do a better job of cleaning out shooting lanes. On a couple of the baits my buddy set, there were hardly any trees that were huntable within range of the bait, and those that were didn't coincide with the angle of the crib. As a result, he ended up sitting 7 yards from the bait with a shotgun; but preferably, he would have chosen a tree 40-60 yards back and cleared a shooting lane from there to the bait.
6) Clear/mark baiting paths better. Sometimes carrying bait through seas of 1" saplings was pretty rough, but more so, it was easy to lose the trail for a couple yards, and we were constantly leaving a trail of scent on everything we brushed up against. Would have been better to clear a path wide enough to walk through unscathed, leaving only boot scent on a consistent trail. The key is making it inconspicuous from the road so guys don't wander to our bait.

I've still got one bait I established close to home last week. Gonna check it once again before leaving for CO. If it's hit, I'll refill it. If not, I'll scrap it and try to establish another in an area I think looks promising. Hopefully I can find someone to refill it at least once while I'm gone.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:49 am

Those are some great lessons. I'm looking forward to your next effort.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:08 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Man that weather was nice last night. Cooled off and got dead calm for the last 45 minutes. If it was going to happen, last night would have been the night. Nothing seen or heard. Neither of our baits had shown signs of being hit at night while we were gone either. The baits were a little soggy from all of the storms, but the bees and flies had no issues finding them. We made a list of lessons learned from the trip:

1) Find bait sites closer to home so we don't have to put all eggs into one basket in terms of weather, getting home at 2am after tracking and dragging a bear, etc.
2) Make sites closer to road. This isn't so much because we're being lazy, but the fact that our closest bait to the road was hit in daylight multiple times means that bear comfort level trumps difficulty in getting to the spot. So we'll focus more on good areas close to the road, which will save a lot of time making circuits during the week to bait.
3) Use more bait/bait more frequently. The fact that all four of our baits were empty upon arrival this weekend meant that the 10 gallons once/week wasn't sufficient. If we hunt closer to home we can bait more during the week.
4) Use trail cams at ALL baits. We had trail cams on 2 of 4. When the other two were hit, we didn't know if they were nocturnal hits or not. Also, we saw the same bears at 2 of our trail cams. Having more trail cams set would better allow us to track the bears' circuit and approximate where they're bedding.
5) Do a better job of cleaning out shooting lanes. On a couple of the baits my buddy set, there were hardly any trees that were huntable within range of the bait, and those that were didn't coincide with the angle of the crib. As a result, he ended up sitting 7 yards from the bait with a shotgun; but preferably, he would have chosen a tree 40-60 yards back and cleared a shooting lane from there to the bait.
6) Clear/mark baiting paths better. Sometimes carrying bait through seas of 1" saplings was pretty rough, but more so, it was easy to lose the trail for a couple yards, and we were constantly leaving a trail of scent on everything we brushed up against. Would have been better to clear a path wide enough to walk through unscathed, leaving only boot scent on a consistent trail. The key is making it inconspicuous from the road so guys don't wander to our bait.

I've still got one bait I established close to home last week. Gonna check it once again before leaving for CO. If it's hit, I'll refill it. If not, I'll scrap it and try to establish another in an area I think looks promising. Hopefully I can find someone to refill it at least once while I'm gone.

I think this is an awesome post as far as a list of lessons learned. Your #1 on your list is the exact conclusion I came to after my first attempt at a DIY black bear. I want to stay as close to an hour from home as I can get. As far as the rest of your list goes, I think I made just about every one of those mistakes as well! haha. A lot of value in your posts for anyone trying a DIY black bear. I plan to go back and watch your baiting and scouting videos. Good luck with the rest of your season.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”