bass

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

bass

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:16 am

I know your currently bear baiting in zone C wi. How many bait sites are you operating? ? Do you have anybody that helps you carry the buckets or are you pure solo? I read Dan is having problems with hounds. Are you having hounds harassing your bait sites? By the way, I really appreciate you Ariel Mark ups of your setups. Good luck this Sept

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: bass

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 am

john1984 wrote:I know your currently bear baiting in zone C wi. How many bait sites are you operating? ? Do you have anybody that helps you carry the buckets or are you pure solo? I read Dan is having problems with hounds. Are you having hounds harassing your bait sites? By the way, I really appreciate you Ariel Mark ups of your setups. Good luck this Sept

4 baits currently. Back to 5 after this week. I am 100% solo. I don't let anyone come along unless they plan to film me in September ;) Even then they have to be with me the whole way. No last minute tag alongs.

The first 50 yards of my bait trail from the road are a different path each time to keep the curious human predators at bay. While this doesn't prevent dog activity, it minimizes the guys running the dogs down your bait trail. Good bear dogs know how to run down a bait trail...

I feel the dog pressure just like Dan. Two of my deep baits have picked up activity the last week, but it is too early to tell what is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Those two baits have daylight activity while some of my more active baits have moved more nocturnal with some daylight activity. I still consider myself an amateur, but this isn't my first rodeo with the dogs. There was an overall activity suppression a couple weeks ago, but this is common after the mating season. I plan to keep 3 of my 5 current "legacy" baits in their current location for the time being. 2 will float until/if I find the sweet spot. Two of my "legacy" bait stations are still lasting 48 hours tops, usually less than 24 hours. Legacy baits get baited at legal limit. Floaters are baited at a less than a couple gallons with a lot of scent.

Unless an absolute mega shows up in August, my harvest criterion and hunt duration will be defined in August. I like bear hunting, but I'd rather hunt whitetails. I hope to tag out by Sept 13th, hopefully Sept 9th. Even so, I might chase whitetails Sept 12th and continue bear hunting Sept 14th. It gets a lot tougher after the first week.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:42 pm

hey bass, do you have any daytime trail cam pics of bears at your bait sites AFTER September 8th 2015????

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Yes. Not the couple bears I'm hunting though. Lots of season left.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”