2015 Pics & Questions

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

2015 Pics & Questions

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:57 am

Its official, as of yesterday the 15th, bear baiting season has started. Feel free to post pictures on here and ask questions. Set some stands last week and will be baiting and setting cameras up this coming week. Cant believe its here already. :clap: :clap: :clap:

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: 2015 Pics & Questions

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:18 am

I ended up finishing a bait station/stand with the slow turkey hunting. Plan to start setting baits and cameras tomorrow and pick up a few more barrels of base on Saturday. Looking forward to some pics as the breeding season kicks off.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mjk

Unread postby mjk » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:57 pm

We won't start baiting the hound baits for a few weeks yet, but I did some maintenance on some zone c baits last weekend. I plan on baiting those tomorrow.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:57 am

My goal preseason is to build a personal relationship with every client I have, sending videos, photos and updates will help prepare them for the upcoming Sept hunt. So glad Wisconsin allows early baiting, very excited to get out there. :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Little bit of adrenaline on the walk to birds this AM. Saw a bear in the distance headed toward me. Stood behind a balsam and started recording video. At this point he is about 20 yards away. Fun encounter.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:13 am

Should be fun.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:15 am

Another afternoon of concoctions in my diabetic coma food lab.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:27 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Little bit of adrenaline on the walk to birds this AM. Saw a bear in the distance headed toward me. Stood behind a balsam and started recording video. At this point he is about 20 yards away. Fun encounter.

Wow! my heart would beat out of its chest. i have daydreamed of that happening to me but it hasnt yet.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Cool encounter Bassboy :o .... And the fun begins....Your garage is clean, you should see mine.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:02 am

Mike Foss wrote:Cool encounter Bassboy :o .... And the fun begins....Your garage is clean, you should see mine.

I can only imagine. You're probably in it for 20-30 drums, plus toppings....7-9 pallets! :o

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 am

Last year around 50-60 barrels, two pallets of maple and karo syrup and other goodies. We have a big bear (700lbs plus) on camera last year we named "Bus 15" we are going to try and locate him again this year, we have narrowed an area down where we think he hangs out during the season. For two days just before the season started last year he came into one of our bait stations as early as 3oclock in the afternoon only to disappear the day the bear season started. Smart bear.....
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am

I have a question for Mike and anybody else who cares to answer. What is your favorite bear bait? What type of bait seems to draw bears in the best? What is your least favorite? Thanks.
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:40 pm

TJS wrote:I have a question for Mike and anybody else who cares to answer. What is your favorite bear bait? What type of bait seems to draw bears in the best? What is your least favorite? Thanks.

My favorite is pastries/donuts.

Least favorite can be a lot of things. Bear bait retailers often have to prepay by the semi load and the sellers aren't always honest. You sometimes see bear bait retailer trying to sell these items for dirt cheap...taco sauce, garlic butter, etc. These odd ducks are way at the bottom of my list.

As for least favorite common, dog food with topping. I'm not a fan of dog food as a base.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:48 pm

The best bear bait I have ever used was last year, Trail Mix, the bears loved the nuts, gobbled them up. Will discuss more when I have some time.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Trail mix has been the best bait I have used, bears go crazy over the nuts which makes sense, last longer in wet weather, even if bait site hole fills with water during rainy days, bears have to work for it but are still able to pull out a few morsels. I have had good results with popcorn but it can be visibly messy at a bait site and can get you in trouble here is Wisconsin. Eventually Popcorn gets spread all around the bait pit and if not cleaned up you could potentially get a fine. Have had to take a shovel with me at times to clean up bait stations.

Got a load of sugar cones last year that when I opened the barrels an awful smell was present. Come to find out if there is any remnants left (liquid) from what the barrel was intended for, the bait took on that smell and was tainted. It was an awful smell and the bears would pick through it. Only until there was nothing left to eat would they force it down.

I love using grease (strained grease) Bear Scents LLC has a Carmel Extract that you add to 5 gallons of grease, it smells wonderful and the bears gobble it up when mixed with other baits.

Pie filling is another one that is a favorite with bears, but when you have 30 plus bait stations to bait, its heavy and you can expect your arms to lengthen a few extra inches by the end of the day lol.

Fresh bait, good bait, good baiting practices is a must if you want to keep those bears committed to your bait stations ;)

I am a firm believer in the Bear Scents LLC company. I mostly use there Bacon & Anise Gel, it lasts for months, I refresh often, my thinking goes as this " When you cannot bait your bait station as often as you would like, the smell of this Bacon & Anise Gel is still working, holding and attracting bears.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”