Hanging dirty socks and/or boxers at a bait site?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Hanging dirty socks and/or boxers at a bait site?

Unread postby TJS » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am

Anybody ever try this?

A couple friends of mine who have been bear hunting almost their entire lives, with much success with and without the aid of dogs, recommended this. They said by hanging stuff like this, the bears in the area get use to a specific human scent being around the bait at all times. So when it comes time to hunt the bait, if you get winded the bears might not worry to much since your scent has been there constantly for weeks. This is my first bear tag so I'm listening to any baiting ideas I hear. Seems like a silly idea but if others have tried it with success I'll give it a try too. I will be the only human at the bait site doing the baiting.

I hope the phrase "no such thing as a stupid question" kicks in here....

:lol: :lol:

When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hanging dirty socks and/or boxers at a bait site?

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 am

In my opinion this would help with ground scent, but not with airborn scent. And, it might make some bears stay away all together... The problem is that a bear can tell fresh scent from scent deposited on ground or clothing.

I have noticed that bears can dissapear because they have a person who baits every day then a different hunter shows up and hunts and leaves a different scent spooking the bears by just leaving a different ground scent... However, they have a tendancy to scent check baits and if they smell you in the tree all the underwear in the world hanging in trees is not going to get him to come in...
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 am

I had some help baiting last year in Michigans UP, but I was present to start a couple bait sites and then I was there the last week as well. I thought of this too, but decided against it. Maybe dan said the same thing to me that he just wrote here, because I picked his brain a bit.

If you have an opportunity to be involved with the baiting, I think that could help.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:19 pm

I did that one year and learned my lesson. I left countless clothes, shirts, pants, socks every time I baited, each time returning to bait and the cloths would be gone. When the season finally arrived, first night out and sitting in my tree stand I was shocked when two bears came in wearing my cloths..... :lol: . All kidding aside......hunt the wind in your favor.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:22 pm

I know I've left my shirts in the yard doing yard work and deer avoid my garden for a week or so

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 am

I've tried this too with no luck. Years ago my dad even tried leaving a radio in the stand playing all night trying to keep the bears out at night being that's the only time they'd hit. They still came in at night regardless.
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm

After thinking about it, I think I'll just hunt with the wind in my favor. :clap: :clap:
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 am

last season every time I would walk into the woods I would leave the shirt I was wearing and take the old one out. I never noticed a difference with camera activity. I only hunted 3 hours last season and then called it quits but I kept my baits running and kept leaving a new shirt behind each time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”