Bear Warm Up and helpful Secrets

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Bear Warm Up and helpful Secrets

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Mike Foss wrote:Terry.....I cant speak for anyone else but I use an extreme amount of Bacon scent, when there is a nice breeze the aroma can be smelt a long ways away, this is really what gets the bears attention. Once they track down the source of where its coming from, ya got them. With in a day or two is how long it usually takes me to get a bear to hit one of my bait stations. Not every area is the same, I just happen to live in a very high populated area for bears.

I agree. If you don't get a hit in 3 days, its time to move the bait.

I'm actually in the process of fine tuning a bait location with minimal bait. I'm running three scent stations with minimal bait in an effort to triangulate the core area of a larger boar. It is an effective way to cover a lot of ground and find the best spots in less than ideal bear habitat or habitat not easily broken down by aerial/topo.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 am

Mike Foss wrote:BassboysLLP......This year prior to the bait station being re-baited those big bears have already visited numerous times. I would use a hollow log and place that log about 50 to 70 yards directly to the West away from its original spot, continue to bait all Summer long then one day before the season starts move it back, same hollow log and all to its original spot. I don't like setting a stand up the same day as the hunt opener but would make an exception, the tree is already prepped and use Dan's favorite set up, Lone Wolf with the Lone Wolf ladder sticks which I have.
My thinking is :think: , those bears will use the wind, find NEW entrance points and exits to there advantage like they always do, they will get accustomed to there same habitual routine on this new set up but also do still know where the old set up is. I bet for a few days during the season while the bait station is back at its original spot those bears will continue to use to what they think is to there advantage the new spot that was baited all Summer long "are you guys following me?" Bears thinking and scenting there is no danger will hopefully make there way back to the original bait station during daylight hours and slip up, offering that archery hunter a once in a life time opportunity. :dance:

You know what? I just talked myself into trying this. I have already baited and set a stand up for a rifle hunter on this particular stand, but will move it this Tuesday to a different location like I explained above. Let see what happens :clap:

Mike, have you done any more experimentation with this unconventional tactic??

Bass, or any other beast members wanna try this or maybe something similar???
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 am

john1984 wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:BassboysLLP......This year prior to the bait station being re-baited those big bears have already visited numerous times. I would use a hollow log and place that log about 50 to 70 yards directly to the West away from its original spot, continue to bait all Summer long then one day before the season starts move it back, same hollow log and all to its original spot. I don't like setting a stand up the same day as the hunt opener but would make an exception, the tree is already prepped and use Dan's favorite set up, Lone Wolf with the Lone Wolf ladder sticks which I have.
My thinking is :think: , those bears will use the wind, find NEW entrance points and exits to there advantage like they always do, they will get accustomed to there same habitual routine on this new set up but also do still know where the old set up is. I bet for a few days during the season while the bait station is back at its original spot those bears will continue to use to what they think is to there advantage the new spot that was baited all Summer long "are you guys following me?" Bears thinking and scenting there is no danger will hopefully make there way back to the original bait station during daylight hours and slip up, offering that archery hunter a once in a life time opportunity. :dance:

You know what? I just talked myself into trying this. I have already baited and set a stand up for a rifle hunter on this particular stand, but will move it this Tuesday to a different location like I explained above. Let see what happens :clap:

Mike, have you done any more experimentation with this unconventional tactic??

Bass, or any other beast members wanna try this or maybe something similar???

I played around with the "check" bait in 2015 as I was struggling to get my target bear on bait. I never tried moving the entire stump that year. It would have been a good idea to try.

Regardless, that bear disappeared completely and was gone in 2016 as well. I'm curious if he is still alive but I no longer hunt that half of the state (eastern WI).
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 am

Bump. This is a good thread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”