SB's 2010 DIY bear

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: SB's 2010 DIY bear

Unread postby Dor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Good looking bear SB!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Congrats S.B. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:06 am

Bear meat in the freezer! I'm perusing the bear recipes on the Beast and making plans. Thanks for taking the time to respond, guys. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 am

Great hunt that is being bumped to pump guys for the coming season!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Here was some of my prep from that hunt:

Here's the latest: I finally arrived at my parking spot and readied the gear.

Just as I had hoped, the bait station was hit very hard. A bear ripped one of the heavy duty plastic handles right off of my bin! The binder twine ties I use to secure it to the tree were undamaged, and the lid survived as well. Here's how it looked on my approach:

Restocked with 18 different types of bait:

There were seven large bear poop piles at the bait. The tube diameter of the excrement was about two inches- no complaints!

With everything resecured and stocked, and the lid back on but slightly ajar, the site was turned back over to the bear:
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Some more excitement I had in '10:

I was fortunate enough to have several close encounters with bears this fall. One morning I jumped out of my truck and chased a bear across a forest meadow. A different day I exited my stand at dark with six black bears watching me, a couple of them very large. That being said, the one that makes me smile the most occurred the first day I bow hunted this fall.

The day began with a check of the morning weather forecast. I had travelled a long distance and was very disappointed to hear that the predicted thunderstorms had been moved up to the late afternoon time frame. I decided to get ready and hit my stand, as perhaps the weather would get the bears moving earlier than usual. After prepping my gear and driving to my parking spot I began the long walk to my hunting location. Once I set foot on my tree stand platform I settled in for a long hunt.

A number of hours passed before a small bear came in and provided me with some great video. After he left, no other bears appeared as several hours passed. Then, in the distance to the west, I heard rumbles of thunder. The sky darkened and lightning appeared on the horizon. I thought to myself that I had about a half hour before the high winds and heavy rain and lightning would begin. I decided to begin the long trip out to my truck, and lowered my bow to the ground. I travelled straight out to the woods road I had parked on, and when I set foot on it began the half mile walk to my truck.

After walking about fifty yards down the road, my real adventure began. I heard an amazingly fast and large animal crashing through the Canadian bush on a direct collision course with where I stood. I immediately knew this animal was not going to hit the road twenty feet in front of or behind me, but RIGHT WHERE I STOOD. This animal was so large and fast and making so much noise destroying brush I knew it was a moose or a big black bear. Was it possible I was being charged by a bull moose in the rut? Had a very large black bear decided to charge me because I was between it and my stand site, perhaps thinking I was an intruding bear? These thoughts crossed my mind in the three seconds of real time I had to react. I instinctively slid a few feet to my right and drew my bear spray canister from its holster while popping off the safety cover.

Finally I came face to face with the beast as it paused to look me over. Less than fifteen feet in front of me was a black bear that would go well over 300 pounds. Astoundingly he began walking toward me and I yelled, “Whoa, Bear!!” With my arm outstretched and pointing the bear spray directly at the bear’s face, something very good or very bad was about to happen. He hesitated and looked to his left, before walking that way into the incredibly thick brush to go around me. I tried to turn my bow camera on but having to get two “on” switches going took too much time, he was gone. To say I was pumped is an understatement. I was preparing to start walking to my truck again when yet another bear, noticeably larger than the first, walked up to where the other bear had been just moments before. He turned in the same direction the first bear had gone and trotted into the brush. Wow!

I started cautiously walking down the road with no further excitement. Once at the truck I was kicking myself for not staying on stand until the bitter end, as the bears were headed right for it.

A few days later, while mulling the situation over with friends, I realized that one of their suggestions was the most likely scenario. The larger bear was chasing the smaller bear, and I had walked right into their path. Thinking about what I had faced, a good sized bear being chased by a larger bear, I realize now I am fortunate that they decided to simply go around me. I also thought that it would have been one short drag if I had my rifle with me instead of my bow!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”