Exit route at night

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Exit route at night

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:39 am

When you guys hunt evenings do you use your bait trail as an exit route ? Do bait trails have to be in some form of a circle? If bears use your bait trail are you risking spooking them if you use your bait entrance trail as your exit trail also ?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Exit route at night

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:45 am

I generally use my bait trail as my entrance and exit... If you use a different trail it seems to freak some bears out.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 am

dan wrote:I generally use my bait trail as my entrance and exit... If you use a different trail it seems to freak some bears out.

So when you exit at night could you potentionlly be walking up on a bear that is using your bait trail as his entrance trail to your bait? Ever run into one and spook it or do they hear you and run away long before u see them?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 am

john1984 wrote:
dan wrote:I generally use my bait trail as my entrance and exit... If you use a different trail it seems to freak some bears out.

So when you exit at night could you potentionlly be walking up on a bear that is using your bait trail as his entrance trail to your bait? Ever run into one and spook it or do they hear you and run away long before u see them?

Every now and then I spook a bear exiting, but to my knowledge not to often. I don't see a lot of bears use my entrance trail either though, but that may be do to my set ups. If your hunting a bait the guide set up, I would put my stand about 20 yards from the bait on or near the entrance trail and I would do that now if its not already up.
I listen intently for bears just before getting down... Your best chance is the 1st day you hunt it, make sure its a good day to hunt there and get in early and stay till quitting time. After day one they seem to know they are being hunted and its harder to trick them.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:32 am

dan wrote:
john1984 wrote:

Every now and then I spook a bear exiting, but to my knowledge not to often. I don't see a lot of bears use my entrance trail either though, but that may be do to my set ups. If your hunting a bait the guide set up, I would put my stand about 20 yards from the bait on or near the entrance trail and I would do that now if its not already up.
I listen intently for bears just before getting down... Your best chance is the 1st day you hunt it, make sure its a good day to hunt there and get in early and stay till quitting time. After day one they seem to know they are being hunted and its harder to trick them.
yeah but i can't leave a stand there over night. But thanks for the tips

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Great question.

I am hoping to spook any bear around as I am exiting dragging a big one down the entrance/exit trail.

I am looking forward to the first hunt and nervous if I am not dragging one out that night
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:00 pm

If I don't have a spot to hang a stand off my bait trail I will brush a small trail off the bait trail and hang a stand. If you set your bait up so bear won't normally circle your stand you'll be fine. I like my baits right where the bears are coming out of the swamp or whatever. Then they really have no need to circle.

I always figure and it has shown the second night of hunting is usually the best.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:52 am

John, it doesn't matter what trail you use when you walk out, you cant control a bear, they can be anywhere close by. ;)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Great question. I always like to come from a direction you know the bear isn't hanging out. Like a lake you know he isn't living in the lake. Rivers are good also. It isn't always possible but use this type of entrance any time you can.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”