Radio-collar of Ely Research Bear turned in, presumed dead

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:10 am

http://www.fox21online.com/news/radio-c ... sumed-dead

(Follow link to view video)

ELY - Not even one week into bear hunting season in Minnesota and researchers' worst fears came true. Over the Labor Day weekend, someone turned in a radio–collar that researchers say had blood on it and was stripped of its brightly colored ribbons. Researchers presume the bear, named Sarah, was shot, despite the ribbons around her collar to warn hunters that she was a study bear.

Researchers had just taken pictures of Sarah Saturday night when she got onto their scale in Ely.

"We had high hopes for this bear ," said bear researcher, Dr. Lynn Rogers. "She had a gentle trusted and trustworthy nature that we can walk with her and she could be a window for us and the world into bear life."

Tuesday morning, Dr. Rogers got a call that Sarah's collar had been turned in to the DNR headquarters office in Tower. Agents found the collar here in their mailbox. They called Rogers and turned it into him shortly thereafter.

"They left it here anonymously," said DNR Area Wildlife Manager Tom Rusch who declined an on camera interview. He said all he knew was that someone turned in a radio collar. He recognized it as one of Rogers' research bears, but had no other information.

It is legal to shoot radio–collared bears and it is possible for the DNR to track down the hunter responsible, using license records, bear baiting permits and the area from which the bear was taken. But that works as long as the information provided to the DNR when the hunter registers the bear is truthful.

"Sounds like this person didn't want people to know who did it," said Rogers. He has worked closely with the Minnesota Bear Guides Association to appeal to hunters to spare the collared bears.

Dennis Udovich, President of the Association says, "When one of these research bears are shot everyone loses, whether one likes to hunt or view wildlife."

Todd Larson, a bear guide in Ely told FOX 21 News he fines his clients $1,000 if they shoot a collared bear. Rogers is grateful to hunters who abide by the Bear Guides' ethics, but knows his pleas can only go so far.

"Apparently they're not working, or they're not working well enough," said Rogers.

Bear hunting season in Minnesota lasts until October 17th. The state legislative liaisons for Ely are Representative David Dill and Senator Tom Bakk.

Currently, Rogers has 13 collared bears in Minnesota. The DNR has more than 20 collared bears. Since Rogers began collaring them in 2000, he has lost six bears to hunters.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Radio-collar of Ely Research Bear turned in, presumed de

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:09 pm

I heard about this story it,s kinda sad is,nt it ?
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

To bad...
Irresponsible and very bad picture for hunters...
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 pm

Maybe they should change the wording in the rule book and make it illegal to shoot collard bears... When the rule book says its legal to harvest collard bears, but not recommended, they should expect some casualties...
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 pm

dan wrote:Maybe they should change the wording in the rule book and make it illegal to shoot collard bears... When the rule book says its legal to harvest collard bears, but not recommended, they should expect some casualties...

I agree with this Dan. In MN it's specifically worded that hunters are "encouraged" not to take collared bears. If I put all of my work in on baits and the only thing I had going was a collared bear, sorry it's going down. If you don't want collared bears taken, then change the rule/law.

Plus they want accurate research? Well guess what, if that bear without a collar was the one you wanted research on then it's dead anyways! Whats more accurate than that?
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 pm

I agree, they can't expect collared bears to not get shot unless they make it illegal, and because it is not illegal the hunter did not break the law.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 pm

Regardless of the situation, I dont think I could shoot any animal if I knew it had a collar. Im not saying I am opposed to it, It just wouldnt seem right to me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:56 am

In my opinion if the hunter thought he did something wrong, he would not of returned the collar.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”