Practice on Judging the size of Bears

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crappieangler

Practice on Judging the size of Bears

Unread postby crappieangler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has a good resource or place they go to test their judging skills? I've done a lot of research on judging bears and try to practice on pics I see and videos I watch on TV/YouTube. But given my limited experience of seeing them in person, I was wondering where I can continue to practice and actually know I'm doing things correctly on judging a bear. I've seen a few past threads here that I've used on practicing, but if anyone has any pics they'd like to post up on this thread for practice as bear season approaches it'd be much appreciated. Thanks for any help/advice you guys have.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Practice on Judging the size of Bears

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Its not easy at 1st... Also, I wouldn't put to much worry into size on your 1st bear unless your in a state like Wisconsin that has a size limit. If you watch enough video you will get a good grasp. I think the Bear videos put out by archers choice are good... One thing I have noticed, if its a big bear, you will know. If your asking yourself if its big enough, its probably average or small... Big bears look huge.
Some guys lay a stick next to the bait in Wisconsin cut to the minimum bear length and judge the bear with that.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:49 am

The way they act when they come into the bait tell ya a lot. A small bear prances around like a ditzy teen aged kid. A big bear acts slow, and carefull. When you see a big bear, you will know it is big. The first big bear I saw , not 200 lbs, but big. It came straight in and I said to myself,,, HHHHHHOOOOOLLLLLYYYY CCCCCHHHHHIIIIITTTTT !!!!!!. Then it's a big bear. If you only think ,,, is this a big bear or a little one??,,, it's a little one. Even the 200 lb bear look pretty impressive coming to the bait. Of course , I may be different.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 am

This might help.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... g_bear.asp

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:52 am

Cut a six foot length of birch and lay it on the ground next to the bait. This will help you size a bear. A 6 foot bear is a big bear.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for the tips fellas. Last year the baits were covered with 5ft logs. Only a few weeks away, have a safe season everyone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”