What can I do better?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crappieangler

What can I do better?

Unread postby crappieangler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:03 pm

First I'd like to say this is a Great site, very informative and I've learned a lot. I love going through the discussions on the bear threads since discovering this site last year, and makes me really want to do a DIY hunt in Minnesota. I've hunted bear twice, once semi-guided in NE Minnesota and last fall in Ontario. Unfortunately, I've logged 128 hours in these two trips and have only seen 1 bear that came in and walked off right away in MN. That being said, all the research and minimal experiences I have drive me crazy b/c bears seem so unpredictable. I've done everything I can think of as far as eliminating scent (they called me the naked white hunter in Canada b/c I would ride to the stand in my underwear and respray down and get dressed in my descented clothes before walking to stand). I don't think I'm being noisy or moving a lot. I have been sitting for 8-10 hrs barely breathing for fear I'm moving too much or making the slightest noise like my clothes rubbing together. I don't eat, drink, or pee on these sits and try to maintain as close routine as I can while following the guides advice. But in MN guys were talking about getting down to pee or smoke, etc and still harvest bears (granted they were small).

So with all that being said, the wind direction really makes me wonder how big of a difference it makes. Where I hunted in Canada last fall the wind swirled all day. I was on an active bait with multiple bears hitting it, with reportedly a bigger color phase being one of them. They knew when I was there, and I never laid my eyes on a bear. My only interaction with a bear was on the 5th or 6th evening (2nd day of pulling the bait to condition him to come when I was there) when he came from behind in the dark woofing at me. So I guess what I'm getting at with my lengthy post is, what do you do in areas where the wind will swirl? I'm hunting with the same outfit again in late aug/early sept and wondering what your thoughts are on what I can maybe do differently?

Just to add a little to the story I was in a climber, and I think he was hearing me go up and down in the stand so this year I'm going to use pegs to get up and down and leave the climber up in the tree all week. I know it was using the baiting trail as there was scat all over it. It also came to my stand first night and pulled my bow hoist off my peg I tied it to. It was also mid to late Sept when temps were getting to freezing and the bears may have started focusing more on protein and woody foods vs carbs to prep for hibernation. They were still hitting my bait though, just when I wasn't there. Hopefully the time of the year helps. Another question I have is about color phase bears, do they tend to be a little more cautious?

Great site guys. Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the lengthy post.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What can I do better?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:52 pm

The biggest thing you can do is add trail cams at each bait so you know whats going on. 2nd, you are not going to eliminate your scent. If a bear gets down wind he will know your there. Hunt higher or farther back rather than trying to be scent free. If your hunting on guided hunts, make sure your getting your moneys worth. Different guides have different approaches and beliefs, make sure your ideas and his line up. Also check his refferances, look at his success rate in comparison to other local outfitters...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:29 am

Like Dan said, Trail Cams can be a huge advantage, get one, keep a log of the times etc that bears are coming in, sometimes simply moving your bait station 50, 70 or 100 yards can make a huge difference with bears feeling comfortable coming in, if you can find that sweet spot you can have years of great hunting ahead of you. Most people think bear hunting is easy, it can be a great challenge at times as you have found out. Good luck and have fun.

Mike
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Having trail cams are as much fun as the hunt.,, almost.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Dan, I do like your suggestion about lining up beliefs and something I wish I would've considered a little more before booking a hunt. I think the idea of using cameras is smart and gives you a lot better idea on what to expect. The outfitter I'm hunting with doesn't use trail cameras to prevent spooking bears away from the baits. But they know their area and bears, and from what I've always been told you need to trust the guide. The references were good and they shoot a lot of big bears there, avg around 300# most years with a high shot opportunity/spot rate. last year just never panned out for me. Hoping this years a different story.

I will get a tag next time I put in for MN and plan to use cameras on DIY hunt. I have a couple areas picked out, but need to get up there and lay my eyes on things. I have an idea of what to look for from all the helpful tips on here. I'm looking forward to doing it on my own, I think the learning curve and excitement will be much greater this way.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Sorry but whoever told you cameras spook bears is full of it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Jim Wallner wrote:Sorry but whoever told you cameras spook bears is full of it.

I agree it sounds like a cop out... I am sure a lot of guides don't use cameras for a different reason. That would be that guys would be arguing over who hunts what bait due to bear frequency or size.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Cameras can help you a lot... I have been really surprised at the consistent patterns of bears, like a bear who comes in almost every day at 10:30 am when I normally woudn't be there. Or the one that comes in ten minutes after you bait. He can be killed by waling in with a friend or the guide and slipping up the tree while the friend baits. Works great, but you have to know the bear is in that pattern. Other bears will come in on certain wind patterns. Its a little harder to figure out, but if you notice a certain animal sporadically hitting, check the winds. Often its as easy as hunting the winds he comes in on.
Often bears come in every day or two until killed or spooked too, but its nice to know size and direction of travel, and how long that particular bear spends on the bait, or how spooky he is... Cameras help in so many ways, its hard to find a reason not to use them.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 pm

If you don't mind, post the outfitters website link.

Is this a fishing camp that throws bear bait out?

Average killed is 300 pounders in Ontario?

Doesn't like trail cams?

My bet find a different camp.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 am

Honestly I've had bears spook from our cams a few times but for the most part its a none issue.
crappieangler

Unread postby crappieangler » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 pm

I will defer from posting the site, but I'll PM it to you. They're great people, and worked hard last year. Dad got a bear on his first day and had some big bears shot in camp prior to our arrival. I know they have been guiding many years for bears and the main guide used to be a game warden in the area. Years ago they used cameras, so I'm not 100% sure if they had a large number of bears that changed patterns or what. They did say many were ripped off the trees and damaged as well. I do lots of research, but maybe I'm not asking enough questions or am naive.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Bear ripping cameras down etc is just part of the deal. It's business.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Jim Wallner wrote:Bear ripping cameras down etc is just part of the deal. It's business.

I put my cameras 8 to 10 feet up pointed down now and use black flash... Also, never touch our cams with bait hands. One guy baits, the other tends to the camera. If alone I bait with gloves on, check the cameras with them off. Have not had a camera bear damaged in years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”