New to Bear Hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Landonk

New to Bear Hunting

Unread postby Landonk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:09 am

I have been chasing whitetails my whole life, but never had the chance to get after a bear before.
I recently gained access to a timber/pine plantation in the hills and there is a large enough bear population to be able to be hunted.

Do most of you approach bear hunting with the same tactics as you do deer? By that I mean are you trying to learn where they bed, setting up close to the bed if wind is correct for that spot...etc?

Or, do you hunt over a bait? Do you use a combination of both?

As I said, I have never even considered going for bear until I found out that this new location has them.

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Re: New to Bear Hunting

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:26 am

Well for one there not deer, I don't hunt them like deer either. You can bring bear to you if your on location. Make sure a swampy area or water source is near. Set up baits 10-20 yards from bait. Make sure your stand tree has some cover. I prefer to set stands so the shooter is well hidden and shooting through a funnel so to speak.

When I'm guiding I don't try to get close to bedding areas, as once they hit the baits they will be near by. Inexperience can cost you if your too close. I don't worry to much about wind. Some will disagree with me on that.

Location, good cover, good bait and lure and change it up every few days, have a good mix also.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:28 am

When guiding I ment I try not to get to close. If you bump a mature bear he will either leave and not comeback or be an after dark eater

Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 am

In your experience, do black bears tend to be less nocturnal than deer?
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:41 am

Durning the fall hunt they're on the move any time to pack on weight. Only the heat will slow them down. If you keep a strict routine and find a style of baiting you like you up your odds of a daytime bear. The best hunting is the evening. 3- dark

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:01 am

That is what I do... I feel to get big bears to come in during daylight consistently you need to be near where they bed, but as Jim mentioned, they don't need to be there when you start baiting. They will find the bait if you use good scents. But, I want to make sure they can lay down near the bait feeling safe, and that I have a good non-disturbing access to bait and hunt.

In your experience, do black bears tend to be less nocturnal than deer?

My trail cameras and hunts have taught me that bears show up on baits all day long if the bait is in a good area. Generally in the last couple hours is the best, but I have seen good bears hit all day long. This is why its a good idea to have a midday baiting time that don't vary and / or make a little noise when baiting. If you catch them by surprise and spook them from close they likely won't come back in daylight.

Nocturnal bait activity to me usually means the bears are spooky or traveling to far to the bait.

My main suggestion would be if your new to bear hunting is to go on a guided hunt or two with a good guide... You can learn a lot from a guy who has been guiding many years. Be careful though, everyone who calls themselves a guide is not always "good"... Call the guy up and ask lots of questions before booking.... Learning on your own can take years.
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:12 am

Thanks.

I plan to start scouting for deer on this property next week.I will be putting out a few feeders for the deer with cameras, as well as looking for bear sign.
We are not allowed to start bear baits until 30 days prior to season. Driving the fire roads around this place a few days ago revealed bear poop on the roads in areas with ripening blackberries, so I may start there and try to see where that leads me. Season starts Oct 1. With any luck I will have one on my radar by then!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 pm

Do most of you approach bear hunting with the same tactics as you do deer? By that I mean are you trying to learn where they bed, setting up close to the bed if wind is correct for that spot...etc?
Although I'm a bad big buck bed finder yes I kinda do it the same way. Bear to me bed in low lying areas where its cool come August and September when the temps are hot. Our biggest bears skull wise and age wise have came from cedar and tamarack low lying areas (not swamps but low areas).

Yes I hunt over a bait and use both to my advantage. In the thick woods of northern Minnesota one would be pretty much screwed in getting a bear with out bait. Just way to thick of country.

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”