bear bait recipe

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

natvbearhntr
500 Club

bear bait recipe

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:57 am

I know this has probably been discussed 100's of times but when I tried the search the word bait came up in every post. I was just curious of anyone wants to share a bait mixture from material you can get at a feed mill? The only one I found was on youtube and it was dried oats with a real sticky sweet mixture dumped over the top of it. I was thinking of adding some corn to it and then maybe some dog food. I thought of trying something that might be a little more nutritious to the bear other that sweets?

Thanks
Rene

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: bear bait recipe

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:41 am

We buy 50 lb bags of popcorn and pop it into a garbage can with an air popper. The Bear love it and it's light to carry in.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am

I been buying shell corn. In Tomah I can get 100 lbs for under 16$. I mix the corn with peanut butter, pancake syrup, marshmallows, cheap candy, molasses and sugar. As the season gets closer I'm planning on adding other stuff I've been saving up in the freezer. I doubt my bait site is in the ideal spot but I don't care, my bait site was set there out of experimental curiousity. I also will be renting a bait site from a guide. According to the WI DNR, my bait site is in a spot where bears are not abandunt nor common. But 2 bears hit my bait so far. So I'm optimistic . Here is my Visa card Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Go buy a bunch of that cheap Shasta pop in different flavors and mix it with oats or cracked corn. Whole corn is hard on a bear digestive tract and they get sick of it quick. They love that cheap pop. Old timer showed me that recipe. Used it as a filler
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks guys for all the tips!
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:58 am

john1984 wrote:I been buying shell corn. In Tomah I can get 100 lbs for under 16$. I mix the corn with peanut butter, pancake syrup, marshmallows, cheap candy, molasses and sugar. As the season gets closer I'm planning on adding other stuff I've been saving up in the freezer. I doubt my bait site is in the ideal spot but I don't care, my bait site was set there out of experimental curiousity. I also will be renting a bait site from a guide. According to the WI DNR, my bait site is in a spot where bears are not abandunt nor common. But 2 bears hit my bait so far. So I'm optimistic . Here is my Visa card Image

Liquid Red Spot or powder brings them in I always get bears on camera coming into that stuff when Im trying to get pictures of deer
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:46 am

Jim Wallner wrote:Go buy a bunch of that cheap Shasta pop in different flavors and mix it with oats or cracked corn. Whole corn is hard on a bear digestive tract and they get sick of it quick. They love that cheap pop. Old timer showed me that recipe. Used it as a filler
Great tip!!
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:54 am

Best place to get that pop is the dollar store

Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:53 am

I have put 100 pound bags of corn at the bottom of my baits letting everything else drip down and mix with it... ALWAYS the last thing eaten. I quit doing that. I had some bulk mixed dog food and treats a couple years and they really did not get to excited over that either.
My best baits have been bread products. Donuts, cakes, and plain bread. But I add candy, syrups, bags of brown and white sugar, fruit, left overs, grease (not legal in Wisconsin) powdered coolaid, frosting, whole frozen carp, dogfood, fish inards and heads liquid smoke, honey (not legal in wisconsin) lard/bacon grease from camp ( again not legal here) etc...

They will find stuff they like at my baits. But really, the breads always seem to be the biggest hit, especially the donuts.

If I were baiting in Wisconsin it would be mainly donuts and bread cause of the limit you can put out.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am

Never having bear hunted these were not things I would have guessed that attracted bears...candy and pop corn who knew

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 am

My buddy would go to movie theater and get all his pop corn he had garbage bags full

Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:16 am

Any grease from an animal is illegal. Used cooking oil from grain is legal. If I'm wrong, then I'm an outlaw.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:22 pm

If you use corn it has to CRACKED CORN. And it's really only god as a filler.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”