2009 Tripoli WI bear

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

2009 Tripoli WI bear

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:19 am

I was driving across northern WI a couple weeks ago on US 8. I stopped in Tripoli at a gas station to fill up and use the mens room. As I walked in there was a big glass case with a bear in it. There was a glare on it and I walked right by it, as seeing a bear in a gas station in northern WI is about as common as seeing one in a bar or gas station about anywhere in northern WI, MI, MN, so I didn't pay much attention.

But on the way out without a glare I caught a better look and the sign said 693 lbs. or something like that. That is when I stopped to check it out. Now you don't see many full body mounts in northern WI, MI, or MN of bear that big in bars and gas stations.

Apparently the owner of the gas station shot it about 10 miles from town and they had to get a tractor with a loader to get it out.

Anyone hear of this or see this bear. I didn't take a picture - my bad.

quick google got this, but no pic
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/60094187.html

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: 2009 Tripoli WI bear

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:05 am

It is a monster bear and have stopped and seen it many times. I will be driving by the gas station tomorrow am. Will try and get a picture.

The deer is the station aren't to shabby. The attendant said they were taken by more than one hunter and on private farms from the area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:29 pm

The bear doesn't seem that big but it was weighed.. I have heard a kid shot it with a .270 WIn. Stories travel though. I have stopped there many times since my cabin is another 30 mi west and 10 mi. north.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Had to take a different route today. Went across 70. Should be going that way again in a few weeks. Will get pictures eventually.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:45 pm

dang it, I didn't even see the deer heads. I was in and out, and that bear caught my attention on the way out.

I figured someone on here has been through there. Would be cool to put a picture with this thread, but no pressure Hodag, I failed on my way through.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:38 am

Gas Station Black Bear

Inside a BP station on US highway 8 we stumbled across a 660 lb. (dressed weight) stuffed Black Bear in a display case.

[Dave, 08/12/2011]
RA: The man who shot the bear owns the BP station. He shot it in 2009. It's only five pounds lighter than the world record stuffed black bear, which is also in a display case in Wisconsin.

Glidden, Wisconsin: 665-lb World Record Stuffed Bear
"Mr. Bear" is preserved in an outdoor glass case, and is the hunters' pride of Glidden. Bruin Restaurant
Address:285 Grant St., Glidden, WI
Directions:Bruin Restaurant. Downtown, on the north side of Grant St. just east of Hwy 13.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 pm

I saw the Glidden bear when I stopped in town for a pit stop while snowmobiling many years ago. Pretty sure it was about 1995 if I remember right. Gotta be the same bear. :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”