Time slot for bear meat.

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Time slot for bear meat.

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:54 am

Dan said bear meat spoils faster than venison. So here's a question. Let's say a bear dies 21 minutes after sunset and it's 78 degrees out when the bear died with a forecasted low of 65 for that night. How long do you have before the meat spoils?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Knute78
500 Club

Re: Time slot for bear meat.

Unread postby Knute78 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 am

Whoa this question reminds me of high school algebra class.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 am

Knute78 wrote:Whoa this question reminds me of high school algebra class.

what's algebra?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 22, 2014 10:07 am

I'm not sure on the answer, but I shot a bear last year in 70 degree weather. I shot it with a bow and hit it in the lungs, it ran about 75 yards and died. We got it out, field dressed it, and then deboned it within about two hours. It was some of the best tasting meat I ever had. I think with the thick coat, in warm weather, you really need to recover it quickly, and get it cooling ASAP.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I'm not sure on the answer, but I shot a bear last year in 70 degree weather. I shot it with a bow and hit it in the lungs, it ran about 75 yards and died. We got it out, field dressed it, and then deboned it within about two hours. It was some of the best tasting meat I ever had. I think with the thick coat, in warm weather, you really need to recover it quickly, and get it cooling ASAP.

I don't think I ever had bear meat. I really want to try some. Is venison fat and bear fat similar in taste?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 22, 2014 10:17 am

I hunted with Mike Foss, and he had a butcher in camp. He deboned the meat, and took a lot of the fat off. He then told me to make sure I get any remaining fat off of it before cooking. So, I think, like venison you need to get the of the fat, or you might get a gamey taste. This was the first time I had bear meat too. I grilled the steaks and had bacon, brats and hot sticks made out of the rest. I think, the quick death and fast recovery contributed to quality meat. This is my only experience with bear meat, so take it for what it's worth.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I hunted with Mike Foss, and he had a butcher in camp. He deboned the meat, and took a lot of the fat off. He then told me to make sure I get any remaining fat off of it before cooking. So, I think, like venison you need to get the of the fat, or you might get a gamey taste. This was the first time I had bear meat too. I grilled the steaks and had bacon, brats and hot sticks made out of the rest. I think, the quick death and fast recovery contributed to quality meat. This is my only experience with bear meat, so take it for what it's worth.

Dang man that sounds tasty. I thought I read somewhere on this site that bear meat is much more interlaced with fat compared to a rut buck.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am

I didn't notice fat interlaced in the meat. At least in the steaks, I had.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:29 am

If anyone is coming to the Tomah, WI area soon, and has bear meat 4 sale, please stop by and sell me a pound or 3.

U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Thu May 22, 2014 11:13 am

Man you sound pretty jacked for your hunt! I hope it all goes well for you. I cant give a solid time but as with any game recovery the sooner the better. And as far as bear fat goes, a friends family would render it down and use it to deep fry hot wings and french fries. It was awesome. Im not sure about the whole process but something else to think about.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu May 22, 2014 11:40 am

Don't know if you can legally sell wild game but you would be surprised on how many bear hunters have given up there bear meat just because at one time in there lives they tried it and didn't like it. Proper game care is the key with bears, the sooner it is butchered the better. In the past some of our bears sat in the garage for a whole day without spoilage, never have we lost a bear. Had a bear roast about a month ago, soooooo good, if you didn't know it was bear you would have thought it was beef.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu May 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Bear meat is the most delicious meat I have ever had! Completely different than deer or beef. When cooking just make sure to let the grease drip off the meat for best taste. Crock pot also yields tender meat.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu May 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Agreed. Bear meat is awesome. One of the few opportunties in hunting where the animal is fed out.

Last one I shot, I packed the dressed cavity with frozen bottles of water until I got home. This worked great.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:54 pm

john1984 wrote:I thought I read somewhere on this site that bear meat is much more interlaced with fat compared to a rut buck.

You read right. Bear meat has allot of fat in it plus add the hide and fat that's inside the hide and you've got a big insulater. I/we debone the bear and take the hide off the night we get our bear. We've lost some meat in the past because we didn't take care of our bear properly. Bear meat handled right and processed right to me is the best tasting meat out there. All too often though hunters do not take proper care of their meat and thus they say bear meat is no good. Little do they know.

Bear that we've recovered the next day is still edible. Even with higher temps. Maybe not the whole bear is good but still some meat/if not all is still good to go.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 am

We usually do what it takes to recover. Last fall we we skinned and quartered every bear the night it was killed. We also killed one at noon and did it right at the truck and got hide and quarters in big cooler.

Last couple seasons if it was late we gutted them at my shop rinsed them out and hung them inside with ice shoved up in cavity to cool down and processed in am. But
It was super cool.

Proper care is essential. I like bear better than deer. I marinate meat overnight in fridge and grill steaks or make kabobs.

It seems like 90% of my hunters are keeping the fat for
Cooking or making soap or lotion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”