Are deer spooked of bears/bear bait?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Are deer spooked of bears/bear bait?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri May 23, 2014 3:51 am

Here in WI we can't bait with meat but still have wolves showing and eating baits with nuts, grains, pastries, berry juices and frosting.

I have 100s of pics with wolves checking baits and/or eating at them. Obviously some are the same wolves but when I had my last kill tag (2012) all 6 baits had at least some wolf activity. Closest 2 baits were a strong 5 miles apart as crow flies. Most baits were 15-20 miles apart.

Two baits had significantly more wolf activity than bear so were dried up after 6 weeks of baiting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed May 28, 2014 11:00 am

I've seen some darn nice bucks walk right by me while bear hunting. I have seen deer run like crazy through the woods. No doubt a bear close by. My brother saw deer eating corn once and a bear came in. The deer took off like crazy. Trail cams over my BIL baot piles show deer eating all the time, then a bear comes in for a while. Deer come back in an hour or so. If deer quit moving every time time they smelled a bear,,, they would starve. ;)
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Thu May 29, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback everybody!!!
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”