All by yourself

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

All by yourself

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

Lets say you kill a big bear 2 miles away from your truck and you have no one to help you drag it out. Lets say its your first kill and it's a 400 pound black beast, no roads or trails for 2 miles in every direction. What would you do if your just a couch potatoe with no one to help you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: All by yourself

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 am

In Wisconsin you can skin and quarter it out in the field.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:55 am

By yourself skin and quarter is really your only option..............unless you know somebody with a helicopter to air lift the bear. :think:

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am

Mike Foss↓
Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:41 pm
In Wisconsin you can skin and quarter it out in the field.

Yes but is a person legally to pack it out in more than one trip? Or does it all "have to be kept together"? Because no way could I haul everything out except the guys by myself on a 400 lb bear 2 miles out. I would take multiple trips regardless. It seems like it would take awhile if you cared about the hide, (like wanted a tanned carpet) to skin it. The hide and head , maybe 1/4 of meat would be enough for the first trip. But is it legal to qauter and taking multiple sections in multiple trips in WI?

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Sorry for the poor grammar

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:04 pm

I'm drew a tag for zone C this year. I feel like I may kill a big one, or see nothin. I never bear hunted before. Paid one guy for a (secret) public bait site deep in. Not looking forward to the long walks out at dark :/ but oh we'll

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Same question for deer. Is it legal to qaurter and take more than one trip retrieving the quarters?

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 pm

I wish I had the same fear of wild critters Dan has. (No fear)
And the scars to prove it.

But bears , wolfs, cougars, freak me out

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Must be paranoia from hearing about just the rare cases of animal attacks , and, Hollywood , I guess

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 am

John, Yes you can make trips in and out until you have the whole bear out, that's why this law was implemented a few years ago. You are going to have to read up on this law so every thing is done correctly. After reading some of your posts I think you should recruit some help if needed or maybe someone to sit and film your hunt with you. One of the biggest mistakes bear hunters do is leave there stand to early only because they think and visualize every bear is going to attack and consume them ;). Those last few minutes of shooting time are the most important and if a hunter leaves early he could have just screwed up on a once in a lifetime trophy. Just ask one of my bear hunters, with 3 minutes left to hunt he was literally reaching for his rope to lower his gun and leave, then he remembered what I told him, patients, just be patient, he put the rope back in his pocket and with one minute of shooting time left he shot a once in a lifetime bear, 638lb monster. Although bears are and can be very intimidating, chances of you being attacked are so remotely slim, your chances are better to get struck by lightening.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm

john1984 wrote:I wish I had the same fear of wild critters Dan has. (No fear)
And the scars to prove it.

But bears , wolfs, cougars, freak me out

That's why bear hunting is so much fun! I would never hunt 2 mi. off the road for bear. It is hard to find a place 2 mi. off any road in zone C anyway. Here is what ya do. Find a river and start paddling. Look over topos and find a remote place that is thick along the river, with nice big trees . Go in till you get to the top of the ridge that follows the river. Look for berries or even oak trees. You will find bears there. You don't have to go in far at all next to a river, maybe with a swampy low spot with a feeder creek emptying into the river, especially if the " crick" comes from a good size swamp..... Yah baby,,, bear in those swamps, holding out till evening.... And if it's thick they will feel safe moving before dark.... Then, yo have a 100 yd drag to the canoe... And when ya go register it ya can tell em alll you were 2 mi. back.. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Mike is right on the money... I shot my bear right when it was time to get down last fall... The bears are much more scared of you than you think. Bringing along a camera man is a good idea to keep you on stand and thinking straight.
As for getting the bear out, line up a couple buddys you know you can trust and have them ready for the phone call when your hunting.... Bear meat goes bad way faster than deer meat. My bear was not found till the morning after I shot it and I lost all the meat. Its very important to get it cleaned and cooled quickly.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 am

Mike Foss wrote:John, Yes you can make trips in and out until you have the whole bear out, that's why this law was implemented a few years ago. You are going to have to read up on this law so every thing is done correctly. After reading some of your posts I think you should recruit some help if needed or maybe someone to sit and film your hunt with you. One of the biggest mistakes bear hunters do is leave there stand to early only because they think and visualize every bear is going to attack and consume them ;). Those last few minutes of shooting time are the most important and if a hunter leaves early he could have just screwed up on a once in a lifetime trophy. Just ask one of my bear hunters, with 3 minutes left to hunt he was literally reaching for his rope to lower his gun and leave, then he remembered what I told him, patients, just be patient, he put the rope back in his pocket and with one minute of shooting time left he shot a once in a lifetime bear, 638lb monster. Although bears are and can be very intimidating, chances of you being attacked are so remotely slim, your chances are better to get struck by lightening.
Couldn't of said it better!!

As for packing a bear out I did so with my dad 4 years ago. I took off work and made the 4.5 hour drive north just to help him get his bear out of the woods. It was well worth the trip!!

400lb dressed bear. There was no way possible for us to drag this bear out. We could only budge him maybe 3 feet every time we tried pulling him after he was gutted.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 am

Awesome pictures

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 am

Steve, Your dad's bear is one awesome looking creature... Looks way bigger than 400. Did you get an age on him?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”