Minnesota Bear Lottery

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Minnesota Bear Lottery

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 am

Lottery applications are available starting tomorrow April 1st.

Good Luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Minnesota Bear Lottery

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:32 am

Thanks for thew reminder Jim!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am

I'm going to start again . I went in 2003 and had a heck of a time despite getting a 107 lb bear on the 3rd evening. Just a few miles south of Crane Lake. Some very nice and big country. Lots of bear hunters though. Where is everyone else going. Also, anyone know the websight?
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I've made the decision. I'm applying for the BWCA permit this year.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 pm

I guess they came out today!

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:17 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:I've made the decision. I'm applying for the BWCA permit this year.
Ive thought hard about going their too. My guess is that there is some giants in the BWCA being you can't bait like you can in all the other zones. Best of luck BH. Let me know how the hunting pressure is. Good luck!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Schultzy wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:I've made the decision. I'm applying for the BWCA permit this year.
Ive thought hard about going their too. My guess is that there is some giants in the BWCA being you can't bait like you can in all the other zones. Best of luck BH. Let me know how the hunting pressure is. Good luck!!

The "no baiting" rule is what has kept me out.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm

dan wrote:
Schultzy wrote:

The "no baiting" rule is what has kept me out.

I guess all you're really allowed to do is things like honey burns. I know cameron hanes uses something he calls "bear crack" which is a sugary mixture of things that he melts over a small stove on remote black bear hunts. My plan would probably be to call around to all the local wardens/rangers, asking about pointers or camper bear complaints. Then study Google earth looking for swamp locations in ideal locations to various sites, and probably do a scouting weekend sometime before the season. I would also imagine any type of scent attraction would be a better strategy once the wild berries are gone. Not sure when that usually happens. I've also heard that the guys that have been successful usually end up with smaller bears, since they're the first to come into scent. But there must be some giants roaming out there.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:48 pm

We have looked at guiding in BWCA since it's in my backyard. Lots of research and talking to people who I know who have done it and killed and not killed.

Your correct on the smaller bears, also sows with cubs. Talking with FS people I know, the bears causing all the problems they want killed are the above mentioned.

Also take into account the BWCA is 95% old growth. Which means forsest area is stagnent. If I was to seriously consider a bdub hunt I would look into the areas that have burned over in the last few years. Blueberries are thick. I heard rumors of an area at dusk where a person could glass numerous bears feeding in the blueberry patches.. Never made it up to look at it, but the sources were reliable.

Be a huge accomplishment to pull it off.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:04 am

What about Calls, bear calls. Two years ago I know of a guy who called one in, in Wisconsin using a fawn distress call.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:23 am

Mike Foss wrote:What about Calls, bear calls. Two years ago I know of a guy who called one in, in Wisconsin using a fawn distress call.

Thats a pretty good idea... I think a guy could just keep canoeing to different islands and areas that he pre-cyberscouted and call. Don't work move to the next spot.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I was wondering what unit you guys hunt in. I hunted in unit 25 just south of crane Lake. I saw 1 bear in 3 days so I shot it. It was 107 lbs gutted. There were a lot of hunters and wondering if it's like this everywhere.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 am

Pretty much. All the easy to get to spots will have guys. If you want a big bear best advice I can give is find a huge tract of land. No roads etc. water nearby or just low areas. PENETRATE it DEEP. Bait heavy good mix of bait. Maybe 3-4 times and stay out.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

I think a canoe is in order. Perhaps go up a river a mile or so. Or maybe go in public land and find a lake with no homes on it. Set up along a low spot or something.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”