Saturday Night

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Saturday Night

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 am

Finally got some decent weather this weekend, and decided to spend Saturday bear hunting and getting an idea of what’s actually hitting my bait- along with getting some video of the bears. I ended up having seven different bears come in to my bait (two were cubs) and I really had a great hunt. The first bear in was a nice bruin I’d estimate over two hundred pounds and he had the prettiest coat you ever saw on a bear. I shot so much video of him I got tired of it and shut off the camera. In hindsight, I should have let loose an arrow- but being the first bear in I wanted to see what else was going to happen, as darkness was still a couple of hours away. He was followed by two other, smaller bruins coming in that were too timid to get closer than forty yards from the bait. Finally a large sow and two cubs made an appearance.

The sow wanted on the bait, and she was bigger than the boars. The first boar in became aggressive with her and she barked her cubs up a tree. The boar stood his ground, but wouldn’t come any closer than forty yards to her. The two other boars sat on their rump or belly to watch the show from a distance. The sow sat on her rear and turned her head from the cubs to the other boar for quite some time. Finally she began moving toward the bait again. The cubs scrambled down the tree and moved toward her. The boar gave her a “Woof” and she barked the cubs up a tree again, and one of them ran right at me and up a tree near me. The sow saw me for the first time, with her cub treed a short distance away, and now found herself between me and an aggressive boar with her cubs treed. She looked very upset and began popping her jaw repeatedly, and the boar issued another “Woof”.

At this point I was thinking things were getting a little hairy, and I glanced at my bear spray hanging within reach. She finally turned and walked away, with her cubs joining her. She paused at the edge of what I could see, as darkness was setting in. Yet another boar was approaching the bait from a completely different direction, and he looked to be nice sized. As darkness set in, he never offered an angle appropriate for a bow shot. It was time for me to depart, and I had six black bears within sight! With bow and bear spray in hand, I walked out of the wilderness to my truck. Most of the bears were in that 150-200 pound range.

I began the drive out of the wilderness to the distant town where I was staying, only to realize the front of the “HBEAST” truck had dropped down onto the rim of the right front tire. The thought of bugs and a flat tire in the middle of nowhere was not very appealing! Getting the spare tire down was a piece of cake, and I had a wheel wrench in the back of my truck. I found the “puny” jack under the seat, and wondered how I was supposed to jack the truck up with this little piece of garbage. Someone was looking out for me, as a pair of headlights appeared out of the blackness. Two Canadians in their twenties (hunters) offered to lend a hand. I told them things were looking good except for this junk jack I had. They had a mini floor jack in their truck and the front of my truck was up in no time. When finished they refused a tip for use of the jack, we exchanged email addresses and off they went.

One of those nights I won’t forget anytime soon. 8-)

hunt n nut
500 Club

Re: Saturday Night

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am

Holy cow! That sounds like an action packed night for sure :shock:

Glad for the most part it worked out for you (other than throwin' an arrow through a big bruin)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:20 am

Sounds like a great hunt... It aint to often you get to see bears interact. 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 am

Sounds like one heck of an adventure!!! Hope you get to use an arrow real soon.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 am

Outstanding Interactions SB!!! Keep the updates coming and best of luck!! Thumbs up to the guys In Canada!!
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Sounds like an action packed evening indeed! 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 am

Awsome, Bridge a little scary too, but awsome!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:51 am

Bear hunting is addictive, be warned!

I'm going to give it a go again this weekend, can't wait to get out of work. 8-)
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Good times and good story. If your a bear hunter you will always have good stories to tell around the campfire.

Good luck this weekend, cool weather coming and my experiance is this intionally slows the activity......hope different for you.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm

It sounds like you had a whole season worth of fun in one hunt.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:58 pm

magicman54494 wrote:It sounds like you had a whole season worth of fun in one hunt.

I had a blast, Magic- can't wait to get out there again.

Hodag, looks like I may have some rain to deal with too. I'm hoping for the best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”