Changing up the Bait?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunt n nut
500 Club

Changing up the Bait?

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:03 am

With bear hunting coming up fast here :shock: another thing that got me thinkin' is I hear when it gets close to hunting some guys start cutting back on the amount of food they dump and try to bait more often, or do you stick with whats been workin' and keep baitin' the same way?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Changing up the Bait?

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 am

If I have a shooter bear that I really want to shoot coming in on a regular basis in daylight, I ain't changing nothing. But if I have a shooter bear coming in after dark and I want to try and get him to come in in daylight, or a bear that hits every now and then and want him to be more of a regular visiter, well then I start making changes.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:51 am

I started out baiting this mid April with sugar cones, pie filling, sugar glaze. I have now sweetened up the bait, I am now baiting with cookies, gummy bears, granola (granola does not get mushy when it gets wet) pie filling, sugar glaze and peanut butter. I will add a bag of popcorn once in awhile for them for an extra treat ;)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 am

That is a nice daytime pic, Mike 8-)
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:33 am

If its not broke - don't try to fix it ( or something like that) The only time to change things up is when what your doing is not working. One season I had a large boar that was a late hitter. I took scat from some smaller bears, from many miles away, in zip loc's (never touching it!) and left it at the big bears bait site. Then I left less bait then I normally did for the big guy. The next time hunting that stand Mr big came in with 30 min. of shooting light left. He hung up @ 40 yds and then circled around until dark then walked in. If I had been gun hunting it would of been a chip shot. The closer to the time your will be hunting the more you want to keep the bear at your bait with plenty of prime goodies. m.p.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”