Cameras on Bait Stations?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunt n nut
500 Club

Cameras on Bait Stations?

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Just wondering on everyone's thoughts about having or leaving a camera on a bait station getting close to hunting. I usually get nervous when it starts getting close like this, should a guy pull the camera or is it one of those things, if you had it up most of the summer they are used to it and it doesn't matter?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Cameras on Bait Stations?

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 am

The camera should not effect bears all that much. The big thing is you don't switch up you routine and start checking the camera at odd times. Just check it and set it at your normal baiting times.
Its mainly the human intrusion/scent that spooks game when using cameras. Bears already know your scent is there placing the bait.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:37 am

Dont change a thing. Do the same routine.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:04 am

OK, I know a guy who is going to be going bear hunting up in the U.P. He mentioned to his outfitter about bringing a Thermocell for the skeeters. His outfitter said to leave the Thermocell at home they put out to much unwanted scent. Now, I have heard thermocells were suppose to be pretty much scent free. I was planning on using a thermocell, I thought I would rather have that than the occasional swatting my arms around at the mosquitoes. Now I'm not so sure :?
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am

By the way here are a couple of my latest pics

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:36 am

Nice pic's 8-)
I think you can use a thermacell, if they smell it they smell you anyway... Where ever the scent from the thermacell blows, so does your scent.
I personally don't think bears are scared of "thermacell scent" anyway. They are afraid of "human scent" and mostly fresh human scent...
On the other hand, I don't think the skeeters are to bad up north. You probably won't need the thermacell.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Bring the thermo cell......don't know where you where at Dan, but here (Rhinelander area)it is the wettest year in 8 years or more. Worst year for skeeters I've seen in a while.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:10 am

.don't know where you where at Dan, but here (Rhinelander area)it is the wettest year in 8 years or more. Worst year for skeeters I've seen in a while.

Thanks for the heads up Hodag. I had some friends camping up near Ashland and Superior and they said hardly any skeeters. I will take mine along and decide if I need it.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 am

What concerns me the most when leaving expensive camera's - surveillance equipment at a bait site is to not leave any enticing scent on the equipment. After you get a couple chewed up you become much more careful when setting up.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Leave em up. I have saw 2 different bears though that didn't like the red lights on my No Flash Cuddeback and ran off and were never saw again. Eventually all of my IR camera's will be 100% free of lights. Of the 4 trail cams I have 2 have no lights, they are Reconyx camera's.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 pm

I've got a "bear cage" I made a few years back with spikes welded to it. For the most part they leave the digital cameras alone, not like the old film cameras, they use to mess around with those all the time. Although a couple weeks ago I had a couple close ups and the camera was tilted so they still like to screw around with them.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:19 pm

If you have any scent on your hands from touching the bait, they will screw with the cameras... The cameras that light up a red light attract the bears attention too... I like to put the camera up high so the bears can't get at it without putting some effort into it.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:34 pm

I've read that bears are attracted to the "plastic" smell of trail cameras or any new smell gets their curiosity aroused, so bear boxes are probably a must unless it's an el cheapo camera you don't care about.
djl

Unread postby djl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:33 am

This year I am going to put up a fake/35 mm trail camera up and have my good one hid close by monitoring the bait. Without flash of course. The last couple of times baiting I have had a camera stolen. I think it is some anti hunters that have a cabin close by but not sure. I sure would like to be able to show the local sheriff their pics and have him pay them a visit.

Most of the times bears will check out the camera and turn it upside down or just beat it up. I probably am not careful enough in avoid the transfer of bait/scent to the camera. Sometimes to I think the noise of the thing draws them in to investigate.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”